Dubious lighting circuit

The day before yesterday our stairhead light stopped working. So yesterday I changed the bulb. Still didn't work. Got my multimeter out and tested the terminals on the fitting. Stone dead. Took the covers off both switches (downstairs & upstairs) and tested the terminals. Stone dead. All the other lights on the ring were working but anyway I checked the fuse in the consumer unit - OK. Put it all back together and prepared to take up the floorboards this morning to trace the broken connection.

This morning the light was working again. Quite steady, no flickering as if a bad connection had temporarily touched again.

Took the switch covers off again. With the light switched off, the voltage between N and L was 230-250V - but not steady. Instead it was oscillating between the two extremes at about 2Hz, regular as clockwork. Anyone know what is causing that? Might it be related to the transient fault?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Les, it's high time you started to pay for your electric instead of pinching it from the zebra crossing outside.

Graham.

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Am I a lighting circuit? Am I not?

Has the neutral been borrowed?

Reply to
polygonum

Does the bulbholder have a CFL in it by any chance? If so, its most likely getting charged via capacitive coupling, then the ballast springs to life momentarily, discharging it. If so, no fault revealed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Was this under load?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Big Les Wade writes

Les.

You say that you measured between L and N at the switch. Was it neutral that you were measuring the live against? Or was it the black/blue wire that was attached to the switch? In many, most, cases the neurtral doesn't appear behind the switch, the "neutral" wire just being a switched live, frequently not being marked as such though

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs..

Reply to
Bill

One of the two-way switches is faulty or was between states i.e. neither fully on, or fully off.

Reply to
John

When you say you "tested the terminals" do you mean for voltage or for continuity?

Reply to
Frank Erskine