Lifetime of a fridge freezer?

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was more reliable. Ha-ha.
In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so. When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the ozone layer.
Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators? Don
On 13/05/2011 09:18, Donwill wrote:

According to BOC, their replacement gases actually improve compressor reliability and life. I suspect the real reason is twofold: Everything is built down to a price and it is not in the manufacturers' interest for anything to last too long - it reduces sales if they do.
Colin Bignell
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

Yep, that is what I would expect. Hotpoint FF here is 10 years old, the Electrolux upright freezer similar and an indesit ordinary fridge older again, maybe 15.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are getting the same build quality with their fridges.
On 13/05/11 11:33, GB wrote:

Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as good as new.
--
djc

On 13/05/2011 12:33, djc wrote:

So was mine 3 days ago. :-( Don

Ditto but ours died within 2/3 years, was regassed and had a new compressor fitted - which Miele tried to charge nearly 400 for but eventually swallowed. It then died again 18 months later.
The engineer confirmed that Miele fridges/freezers are made by Leibherr.
I now have a Gaggenau and that is just as shit. It's just a re-badged Maytag (crude American engineering). 18 months old, and getting very noisy. The air-flow flap from the freezer compartment to the fridge freezes up about once a month (condensation turns to ice and freezes flap open, temperature heads south).
I have probably just had bad luck with Friday afternoon machines but not impressed with either brand (for fridge/freezers) based on my very small sample size.
On Fri, 13 May 2011 06:14:14 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:

Naw, just made the mistake of choosing a frost free type. Far to much to go wrong with a frost free...
--
Cheers
Dave.

True for the present one, although that's got nothing to do with the irritating flaw above.
Not true for the Miele.

Miele did go through a period of rebadging Bosch. one of which I was unfortunate to purchase 4 years ago These apparantly suffered lots of sensor failures and ours broke its hinge which dropped the door on one off my kids ( did not hurt him), and then lost its gas inside the foam filling
However AUIU Miele now only sell Liebher now and the mone we have got looks far better constructed. I imagine they dropped Bosch when they discovered their Fridge freezers have a 3 year life as our previous Bosch did and it was in serious danger of wrecking their reputation which serves Bosch right. in their fridge freezer falling to bits after 3 years so we bought a Miele not knowing it was a rebadged Bosch
Miele could not fix this rebadged 4 year old Bosch under warranty so replaced it with a Liebher with 2 years Warranty and took the old crappy one away
I iamgine it will live for at least 10 years

Is there a particular reason to buy Miele over the original Liebherr? eg that Liebherr don't sell in the UK? Or are you paying extra just for the badge?
Theo
On 14/05/11 18:23, Theo Markettos wrote:

Liebher do (or did) sell in the UK. At one time they were on display side by side in John Lewis which made it very obvious that the only differences were minor cosmetic ones.
--
djc

Leibherr do still sell in the UK. Definitely the "best" IMHO. As others have said - always avoid frost-free freezers; they are much more trouble.
--
(\__/) M.

There's not actually that much in it, like for like.

Obviously not these rhen http://www.miele.co.uk/products/ProductList.aspx?range=Fridges
MBQ
GB wrote:

indeed. Try liebherr for a reasonably upmarket and well made brand.
On 13/05/2011 11:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I thought Miel were prettygood on reliability when I purchased it but I saw some reviews recently which changed my opinion. http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/household-appliances/fridge-freezers/miele-kfn-8452-sd.htm This is the same model as I had. Don
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill

Miele fridges were rated 90% for reliability by Which (the best being Siemens at 95%) but their 'aftercare' was rated top of the list. Did you enquire about the possibility of repair rather than replacement?
http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/kitchen/reviews/fridges/page/reliability /

Modern frost-free fridges and freezers do have more to go wrong than traditional designs (e.g. they usually have a fan).
Richard. http://www.rtrussell.co.uk /

You only got a 5 year warranty on your Miele?
I got 10 years on my Miele washing machine. Had a service call-out with the digital display not working - prefect service - and the chap also repaired some accidental damage I owned up to, also free of charge.

Most fridges/freezers should manage 20-30 years, even cheap ones, though not all do. Frost frees are another matter, with high failure rates.
NT