Lifetime of a fridge freezer?

Miele did go through a period of rebadging Bosch. one of which I was unfortunate to purchase 4 years ago These apparantly suffered lots of sensor failures and ours broke its hinge which dropped the door on one off my kids ( did not hurt him), and then lost its gas inside the foam filling

However AUIU Miele now only sell Liebher now and the mone we have got looks far better constructed. I imagine they dropped Bosch when they discovered their Fridge freezers have a 3 year life as our previous Bosch did and it was in serious danger of wrecking their reputation which serves Bosch right. in their fridge freezer falling to bits after 3 years so we bought a Miele not knowing it was a rebadged Bosch

Miele could not fix this rebadged 4 year old Bosch under warranty so replaced it with a Liebher with 2 years Warranty and took the old crappy one away

I iamgine it will live for at least 10 years

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Is there a particular reason to buy Miele over the original Liebherr? eg that Liebherr don't sell in the UK? Or are you paying extra just for the badge?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Liebher do (or did) sell in the UK. At one time they were on display side by side in John Lewis which made it very obvious that the only differences were minor cosmetic ones.

Reply to
djc

There's not actually that much in it, like for like.

Reply to
Bolted

Leibherr do still sell in the UK. Definitely the "best" IMHO. As others have said - always avoid frost-free freezers; they are much more trouble.

Reply to
Mark

I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working perfectly and an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going strong except had to get the sealing round the door replaced

Reply to
nickcoxlondon

All well and good, but a new one would probably pay for itself in electricity savings in just over a year.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Really cheap appliances? Or really expensive electricity?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I once put a 32 year old compressor into our old larder fridge, it was still working when I skipped it 5 years later.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Gloworm central heating boiler that was here when we moved here in

1977 still going strong.
Reply to
Graham.

Just really inefficient old appliance

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year. Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

We have a Trianco-Stewart oil boiler of the same vintage, also still going strong.

Reply to
Huge

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/36

5, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps they took the worst possible case - found a fridge-freezer where the insulation had broken down & the door seals were hanging off - and implied that was a typical result.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I have a pair of legs that were used for climbing ladders to install TV aerials from 1971 to last year. They are still in working order but the joints need lubrication, and apparently they are sealed units.

On the other hand I have an organ that was only erected on a regular basis from 1967 to about 1990, after which usage diminished slowly to nothing. It is now completely worn out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

They must be using a very broken 160w machine that runs constantly. The pro blem with that is its knackered, not that its old.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Frost free or normal? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's what happens to organs when you pull out all the stops too often, especially if the blower's past it.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

To cost ?160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

These old fridge/freezers had glass wool insulation. It used to fill up with water & become useless. (Interstitial condensation) So I can just about believe it.

Reply to
harryagain