Fridge/freezer replacement

Our 22 year-old Electrolux fridge/freezer is beginning to rust! and also I suspect it's costing a lot more to run than modern ones, so we're replacing it.
My question is, does anyone have strong views for or against frost-free machines?
Also, as we're looking at Bosch or Siemens, do people think the up-market makes are worth the difference?
Regards and thanks in advance
Pat Macguire

Buy one with 2 compressors, or at least a single compressor twin thermostat model. Frost free is a real convenience, but ask to hear the machine in operation. Some (but not all) designs are horrendously noisy.
Christian.

thermostat
My fridge is a frost-free Amana (freezer on top) and I hardly ever notice it running. The only noise I hear is occasionally from the ice-maker. Although, my freezer is too crammed with stuff for the icemaker to function properly at the moment. The 12 yo Whirlpool it replaced, made enough noise that you could hear it ALL over the house! LOL! So, I think anything is quieter than the fridge that was wearing out!
Dawn
We have an Amana side by side and it's very quiet and reliable. As well as the iceman in it (the story we tell our young daughter) we just hear the motor cutting in and out - not surprising with an appliance that size, particularly during a hot Australian summer.
Viviane

it
function
noise
We've gone for frost-free this time, defrosting was just too much hassle. We'd had an AEG before and frankly it was not as good as we had expected. My wife had a clear idea on what she did and did not want from her new f/f and we looked at em all, over and over! Our initial pref was to go for a Bosch or Siemens (not exactly top of the market but all we could afford) and they did not impress. The plastic drawers etc are no better quality, far too thin and brittle, we do not want wire, the B and S bottle rack was plastic, short and only held two bottles. So power consumption etc all being equal do not bother with them. By the way, trawl the web, we saved nearly 100 buying at the Co-op online of all places!

replacing
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:04 -0000, "P and H Macguire"

I have a Liebherr frost free one. Better than Bosch and Siemens and definitely worth the extra.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

How does "frost free" work then?
--
Andy

I believe the freezer coils are outside of the food compartment, and thus a fan is used to blow air over the cold coils and into the freezer. The fan/pump is halted periodically at which point a heater is used to evaporate any frozen water vapour from the coils.
Mathew
I too prefer frost-free. Unfortunately one of the side effects is that your ice cubes disappear also.
Barbara

evaporate

Really?
Doesn't on mine....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A freeze dried ice cube -- now there's a concept. I'll keep it handy with the chocolate teapot and the rocking horse shit ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

thus
delurking a bit...
Is that why they sometimes seem to be somewhat small? Kind of like partially melted? Well SOB! Now I can sleep tonight! I thought I was losing my mind for a while.
I thought the kids weren't making sure it was closed properly.
Thanks for the tip. I'll stop yelling at the family now.
Bret
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:47:42 -0000, "Andy Wade"

On this one, there is a fan in the freezer section which circulates air through the entire section (having the side benefit of evening the temperature). The evaporator is in the air path at the top back. It's smaller than a standard freezer one because of the air circulation. Periodically ( a microprocessor controls it), the refrigeration is stopped and a heater warms the evaporator to melt deposited ice. It's very effective.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:04 -0000, "P and H Macguire"

I have recently replaced an under-worktop fridge. Because it had to fit a fixed space, it had to be similar outside dimensions to the old one. However, because energy efficiency was improved by increasing the insulation, I can get less in it. It may be useful to be aware of this.
Regards, VivienB
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:59:04 -0000, "P and H Macguire"

They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some money.
sPoNiX

also I

replacing
frost-free
up-market
The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.
Neil
-> They are no better than the likes of Beko. Save yourself some money. -> -> sPoNiX - -The door fell off my Beko fridge after a couple of years.
Should have got a Mandela one.
-Rob robatwork at mail dot com

money.
Que?
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:50:16 -0000, "Neil Jones"

<THWACK>
--
Martin

Beko and Mandela were in the resistance against apartheid. Beko's doors fell off at an early stage whilst being subject to rather unhinged behaviour whilst in police custody.
Christian.