Where to dump a fridge?

Last time I tried to dump a fridge, no-one was accepting them, because their "fridge mountains" were at full capacity! Is that still the case? The one I want to dump actually works, but it just looks too old and delapidated. so I just want to dump it. Where?

Thanks,

Drake

Reply to
Drake

It would be a shame if you can't find someone who will use it.

Does your local paper do free adds for free items? Try freecycle, unless like me you object to signing up with yahoo.

A spare fridge to shove in the garage can be very useful if you have a large family visiting over Christmas.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You should be able to sign up to send and receive emails even if you don't sign up for a Yahoo ID - just send an email to thegroupname- subscribe at yahoogroups.com - obviously replacing "thegroupname" with the name of your local Freecycle list. You can contact the owner of the list at thegroupname-owner at yahoogroups.com. Works for all Yahoo Groups, not just Freecycle ones.

Reply to
KVL

Tried your local freecycle group?

Dave Liquorice

I couldn't agree more. We have a large fridge in the kitchen and a small one in the shed. Also in the shed is a huge chest freezer - as well as the tall upright one in the kitchen.

You can never have too much fridge space.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I thought that the local council had a statutory duty to offer disposal facilities for refrigerators. Try your council, mine (Allerdale) collect such for about £10.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

In their most recent outburst: Drake ranted:

freecycle it

Reply to
.

Don't think old, but working fridges are in much demand. Great for beer in the garage though.

My local council will collect them for free, but it can take 2 weeks. Your local should have a web site?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Put it in the front garden with a sign on it saying "Frig for sale, GBP25".

Someone will nick it within the hour.

Reply to
Huge

I've disposed of a dishwasher and a tumble dryer in my wheelie bin over a period of a few weeks (and a car tailgate). Good fun stripping and folding up the metal into small bits. However - I guess you are concerned about the CFC gas.

Reply to
John

last time I looked, mine charged to collect, but if you took it to the local depot yourself, there was no charge.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

A mate once got rid of a whole Mini engine that way...

Wish I had that much spare room in mine !

David

Reply to
Lobster

They do. Usually, they try to imply that there is a charge by blinding you with their 'collection' fees, but they are obliged to accept them for free

I shall have to move, last two councils wanted 30 quid.

And that's from 'outside'. I said: if I could get it outside, I'd be putting it in my car and dumping if for free.

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

you can use some of mine then. It's always nearly empty OTOH the freezer is overflowing.

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

|>> Thanks, |>>

|>> Drake |>

|> I thought that the local council had a statutory duty to offer disposal |> facilities for refrigerators. | |They do. Usually, they try to imply that there is a charge by |blinding you with their 'collection' fees, but they are obliged |to accept them for free

I have taken two down to the local tip/domestic refuse site, no problems about charging. They is an area set aside for fridges.

As the last one I took was newish and did not use Freons, but probably LPG, I wonder what they did with it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes - I've done similar with furniture and such, except I usually put a sign on it saying "Free to whoever wants it. Just take it away". That way, it might just go to help an honest person rather than a thief!

Drake.

Reply to
Drake

Council dump, if all else fails. The fridge mountain was caused by EU recycling regulations. The foam insulation in old fridges & freezers was blown with CFC gases. The new regulations required the foam to be shredded and the gas in the bubbles recovered. When the new regulations came into force, there was only one (or none?) machine in the UK capable of doing this. New foam recycling machines have since devoured the fridge mountain. Some people made money by just ]stacking and storing old fridges.

If you had plugged the fridge mountain in, could you have made a ski slope?

Reply to
Aidan

If it's perceived that it has value, it'll go quicker than if it's free...

Reply to
Huge

A bit like Billy Connolly's suggestion that it is a crime that there is a butter mountain, and yet no one is alowed to slide down it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Lobster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A Mini engine? Pah. I once lobbed a short engine out of a Citroen CX into a wheely bin... Block, crank, pistons. OK, so it was the ally Douvrin lump rather than the iron block pushrod Cit lump, but it was still bloody 'eavy.

Come bin wagon day, they wheel the bin off, hook it on, and up it goes. Up, up, up, up, up... and over. Whole bin disappears into the wagon.

A whole month we were without a bin. My housemates were not, for some reason, best chuffed with me...

Moral of the story? Use somebody else's wheely bin to dispose of engines.

Reply to
Adrian