Amana Fridge - time to replace?

We have a 9 year old side by side Amana fridge which we are wondering what to do with. I thought I'd seek some advice. I have a temperature gauge in both compartements, Freezer stays at around 10 degrees F and refrigerator reads at about 40 degrees F. These seem to be the limits of the "acceptable" range. The compressor runs constantly and I had to "up" the controls for both compartments to number "6" on a scale of 1 to 7 to maintain the temperatures.

Technically I guess it ain't broke.. so don't fix it.. but I'm trying to get an idea of how long to expect it to go before it dies. What do you think I have.. a couple of months / years? I have no idea.

I don't want to consider repair as it will be not worth it, just as soon buy a new one. A tech looked at it a year ago and found a leak in the evap. coil and charged it back up and said it would last 5 years or so. The coil is aluminum and not replacable.

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have an Amana purchased in 1977 still going strong.

Reply to
lindy

This is Turtle.

Have the tech gas it again and give you a year to hunt a sale on the brand of your choice for the Christmas sales are coming soon. All Appliance dealer have the Thankgiving Day Sales.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

My Amana is going on it's 14th year and it has worked great without any repairs. See if you can get the fridge temperature just under 40. Are you keeping the coils clean?

Reply to
Phisherman

Possible that the leak has started again or a new one developed. At this point, you know that constant compressor operation is not good, so gather up your budget figures and go shopping so you have a new unit in place without an emergency on you hands. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

The controls turn the compressor on and off.

If the compressor is running 100%, changing controls won't make a difference -- it's still running 100%.

Sounds like you still have a slow leak and the freon is getting out. It lasted one year on a charge, so you say. Might be just the cost of keeping it running.

Sounds like you made your own decision?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated. The coils and fins around the unit are clean. The temp rarely goes above 40 in the fridge and most of time is just under.

I think I will call a tech out, and see if I can have him charge the coil again and then keep my eye out for a new deal. Assuming of course that the tech is "honest" and that the actual problem is a leak in the coil. That's the fun part..

Reply to
Jeff

Have you checked the seals around the doors? After a few years they might no longer be pliable. Also are the defrost heaters stuck on "on?" I had this problem with a 12 year old GE side-by-side.

The plus side to my replacing a 12 year old GE side by side is, it's paying for itself. My electric use immediately dropped quite signifigantly.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here