Lifetime of a fridge freezer?

Nothing to do with time. It was due to the cabinet not being tightly sealed. Vapour barrier needed. Water vapour from the kitchen got in.

Reply to
harryagain

The compressors don't consume 160W, even when running.

Glass wool insulation came in quickly when CFC expanded foan insulation was outlawed (contained more CFC than the refrigerant, and not easily recovered). Glass wool insulation only has a life of around 10 years on a freezer before becoming water/ice logged.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We are discussing a fridge.

Reply to
john james

When I was looking a fridges a year ago there didn't seem much difference in the quoted running costs between A+ and A++ rated fridges of a _similar_ size. The biggest difference I found was the USABLE capacity where many of the negative reviews from people purchasing the item was the bottom shelf/drawer was practically useless.

Reply to
alan_m

Biggest difference seems to be price ...

Yes, the bottom drawer of my F/F is about half-depth, the compressor has to go somewhere.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well about a year or so ago, I measured the consumption of our 10 year old 13cu ft freezer. I didn't keep the figures, but compared them with those published for the new 20cuft commercial freezer we were considering, which has about the same insulation thickness. Both uprights. The difference was negligible at around £140pa. The room where it operates runs at 75F. I'd like thicker walls on the larger freezer, but they don't exist. AIUI chest freezers cost less to run. Our old (1970) chest freezer had polystyrene insulation. Have compressors become less efficient as the gases have changed?

Reply to
Capitol

I doubt if many in this group wouldn't know that they have to put the compressor somewhere and the bottom rear is probably the best place. Maybe they would get better reviews if they put it on legs with the compressor underneath so there wasn't a smaller bottom drawer?

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps they could put the compressor on top in an attractive bee-hive sort of thing.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As in many commercial units.