Lidl Electric Screwdriver

I wonder whether the Aldi/Lidl product will still be working in 35 years' time...

I bought a cheapo 'no name' power drill from - can't remember, B&Q, Focus, maybe - and it lasted about four years with not very much use.

MM

Reply to
MM

You're a smoker, right?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Now this begs the question...

Does the oil go onto her body :-)

Couldn't resist

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Lidl don't ask any silly questions unlike B&Q and you don't have to queue in lidl.

Reply to
dennis

They have become well recommended for their meat.

Ex army Major, ex county council schools advisor and a local businesses man all shop there and rate the stores very highly for the quality of their meat. The businessman is very picky with his food, as he has had the best.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My experience...

I bought one of the Lidl well-recommended (in this newsgroup) smart NiMHx4 chargers a while ago, after seeing it online at the ultra- bargain price of =A39.99. I bought it with a few other bits & pieces and didn't pay too much attention to the price- a day or so later I saw that I'd been charged the higher price of =A312.99 (ie. the usual, still good, price they are sold at).

Since I was passing the store I took the online page in with my receipt. The manageress kindly pointed out to me that (since I don't enter my postcode on the website) the special price listed was for the Nottingham store (only), and that I'd been charged the correct price for the Brighton store. Oops - embarrassment on my part.

I was going to leave it at that, but she continued and still gave me a refund of =A33! Definite customer satisfaction there.

I'm pretty picky about the Lidl tools. Some are worth getting, and some not. And that depends on your usage, skill, needs and all the usual things. But they are certainly worth a look, and IME much better than many other lower-end outlets. I'd rather have a 'Lidl' brand power tool than most B&Q branded ones.

I've had significatly worse experience of Aldi, but I suspect this varies from store to store, rather than across the brand.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

How many power tools do you own which are 35 years old? However, there's no reason why one shouldn't.

Exactly. You should have bought from Lidl...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What difference does that make to buying baked beans?

BTW - not everyone thinks olive oil a benchmark for food quality...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are putting too little water in, so that when you make your cuppa the heater is overcooking.

Let the kettle settle before draining it if you must spare every penny to help the Campaign for Real Uether or save the planet's teddy bears. (Whichever that turns out to be.)

And top it up for the next cuppa pronto.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Especially if he bought it at Lidl.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'll be quite heartened if *I* am still in satisfactory working order in 35 years. Still being around will be an achievement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I agree. But also their bread. A considerable range of bakery products at both Aldi and Lidl. Recently I complained to Hovis about their utterly crap muffins (and got FOUR vouchers for my trouble!). The Aldi muffins are orders of magnitude better. Too bloody good, actually! They're always running out! None yesterday. Budgens, for example, are charging fantastic prices for fairly ordinary mass-produced loaves. You can easily part with £1.35 to buy bread at Budgens.

MM

Reply to
MM

But if a well-known quality brand like Siemens or Bosch will outlast any of the cheapo versions, what difference is the extra 30 quid going to make over, say, 20 years? Bugger all. Along with my ancient hammer drill (35 years old), my two Bosch sanders (one now back in working order since I dismantled it and cleaned it), I also have a Siemens jigsaw that is at least 20 years old. I haven't got a single one of the cheapo power tools I bought. All kaputt long since.

MM

Reply to
MM

I have a B&D router which is really old, I can't actually remember buying it.

I used it yesterday so I know its OK.

Reply to
dennis

One.

In addition, I have three others that are at least 15 years old. All quality products made in Germany.

I don't recall either a Lidl or an Aldi in the home counties back then.

MM

Reply to
MM

I have the same problem with the ASDA smart price currant buns, they are much nicer than the expensive stuff but they keep running out as they use them in the cafe.

I also buy the Lidl part baked sticks (39p for two) as they are OK.

ASDA brand bread mix is OK and only 50p, makes good dough in a lidl bread maker.

Reply to
dennis

So .......what you do is buy expensive tools and make them last a long time by getting cheap versions that you use to destruction

:-) John

Reply to
JTM

;-)

I do have a couple of power tools dating from that long ago - but kept because I'm a hoarder. Things have moved on a lot from then - things like soft start, reversing and speed control.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What use is a hammer drill? SDS long since took over for drilling masonry. Has it proper speed control and can it reverse? Main use I have for a mains drill is screwdriving - when I have lots to do.

But you're missing the point that not all cheap power tools are the same. The Lidl ones I have are miles better than shed cheap ones. Just cheap to buy rather than in construction. But perhaps you think a 100 quid Makita bought retail costs 100 quid ex-factory? My guess is more like 10 quid if bought in bulk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've a ~40yo 2-speed Stanley Bridges drill that's still going well (I've re-lubed the bearings a gearbox a couple of times). It has a nice flexible er, flex about 4m long - very useful. Used t'other day for the first time in a few years and by 'eck it's loud!

Reply to
PeterC