Lidl Electric Screwdriver

I buy lots of stuff from Aldi and Lidl, but food only. I'll never buy one of their no-name brands that nobody has ever heard of when it comes to computers, hard drives, or other electrical goods. Okay, I've bought garden plants, too. They're okay.

MM

Reply to
MM

Wanted to use it the other day after a rest of a month or so. Dead as a door nail. Put away charged. No indication from the the battery test thingy. Plugged the charger in no friendly little red "charging" light, left it for a day, no change. Took it back and got a refund as it was only bought last Sept and only had very light use. Pity the one they stock now doesn't look anything like as good as this one was.

Looks like I'll be recelling the ancient B&D jobbie and building a decent charger (so the cells don't get cooked or discharged if left in the charger but switched off) for it after all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that is slightly irrational. I bought 2 Targa desktops at Lidl about 5-7 years ago. One (the cheaper model) has performed very well, but I had problems with the other - I think due to overheating - off and on from the beginning. Both have Asus motherboards, and the components all seem high quality.

At the time the machines were highly competitive. I don't think recent Lidl computers or other computer hardware have been particularly competitive, and I wouldn't buy computer equipment from them today.

I think Targa computers from Lidl are much better than anything that I have seen at Aldi.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember MM saying something like:

I've found many of their hand tools to be fine for general use. Their electric kettles are crap though, but so are most others'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The 18v Parkside (25 quid) came with 2 batteries about 4 or

5 years ago and has proved good value with regular use; although one of the batteries is not good at holding a charge the other one lasts well.

I'm going to Lidl (I hope) to look at a 14v lithium ion driver (another Parkside) tomorrow and at 29 euros looks reasonable The Medion laptop and an LCD monitor seemed good value as well. (I think some of the 'no-name' brands are better or well known in other countries) John

Reply to
JTM

I only buy things from either place that are non-food. I wouldn't put stuff sold in either place into my mouth.

I have bought a shed-full (literally) of power tools, particularly air tools from Lidl. The quality is perfectly adequate, the prices suitably low. Most of them get used around the farm and have been used for maintenance of tractors and implements. They get pretty heavy usage. I've also used their air tools for work on a building site where I consider them to be much safer than electrical tools.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You don't know what you're missing. Have Lidl 'no-name brands' random orbit sander, 9" angle grinder, stapler, cordless 'dremel' and probably more I can't remember. All good. And a rechargeable cordless USB mouse bought at the checkout for a couple of quid. Used with the laptop.

I'd put the quality of Lidl power tools well ahead of B&Q own brand stuff

- and cheaper too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They supply simply the best olive oil...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I notice on the Lidl router that I bought a few months back that the maker[1] is identified as Wolf. I've never had a major problem with Wolf tools before. I've got a Wolf generator that has been hammered into the ground (literally when I donked it with the tractor's loading box) and it has worked well for the last ten years or so. Remarkable for a £45 product.

[1] Ok, reseller, it's all made in China.
Reply to
Steve Firth

They may be "no name brands" at this end of the chunnel but I suspect they are better know in mainland europe. Parkside is german IIRC, though of course Made in China...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Curious, then, that millions of shoppers around Europe do, every week. Or perhaps you just don't like being seen in the sheds? I know that the fur coat and no knickers brigade who shop exclusively in M & S and Waitrose wouldn't be seen dead in one of the discounters, but it's their loss.

MM

Reply to
MM

I'll bet it's a darned sight easier to get a refund at B&Q.

MM

Reply to
MM

What it comes down to is how much customer service one can expect when an item goes wrong. Which is why I buy Siemens, Bosch, and so on, wherever possible. My electric hammer drill is 35 years old this week! Bought in Germany in around 1975. I just repaired one of my Bosch orbital sanders, already at least 10 years old. I thought, ah, well, even the best products give out after a while, but I took it apart, cleaned and oiled the shaft (it was plugged tight with fine sawdust after many years' usage) and bingo! It works again! The brushes are still about 12mm long so the tool is going to outlast me, no doubt at all.

MM

Reply to
MM

I bet it isn't, from experience.

Reply to
dennis

And far more likely to be needed.

I've not had to take anything back to Lidl - but just make sure you have the receipt if you have to. No big problem considering the money you save.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a perennial argument. I have a large selection of power tools - some 'good' brand, some cheap. All I'm saying is the Lidl stuff hits a very good compromise for DIY use. I bought their 9" angle grinder for one specific job which it did with ease. May never use it again - but it was cheaper than hiring a 'good' brand for the time needed and did the job as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think there is a difference in Anchor butter bought from Lidl or Harrods?

Apart from price, of course...

If you are after exotic fresh food, few supermarkets are the place to go. And Lidl poorer than most. But for many of the basics, good value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm right with you on that one, I have Aldi and various shed own-brand power and hand tools for the odd occasional task - much better than not having one, and quite likely to see out my DIY days with the anticipated usage - and the "good" stuff where there seems a reasonable chance that I will use it often.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Took my dead screw driver back to one of the Hull stores(*) no problem, had the receipt. I Doubt it took 5 mins including a wander up and down the "interesting bits" isles.

(*) The fact I'd bought it in Carlisle did raise an eyebrow but to take it back to that store would have required a 50 mile round trip or 10 miles added to the weekly shopping trip. I was working in Hull and one of the stores down there was enroute.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You mean, you have a direct comparison between returning something to B&Q and returning a similar item to Lidl or Aldi? What WAS the experience?

MM

Reply to
MM