Lidl Drill on Thursday - Any good?

wrote:

<reams of your desperate attempts at insults that any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong>
Whoops, nothing left, wota surprise.
On Thursday, 5 May 2016 15:49:33 UTC+2, David Lang wrote:

Please don't feed the troll.

Sorry Dave, but <plonk>.
Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Shudder.
--
*I yell because I care

On 03/05/2016 19:22, Rod Speed wrote:

Are you over 100 years old then, halfwit?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Don’t need to be, the plowthing ain't that old, fuckwit.
Keep furiously drunkenly digging, you'll be out in china any day now.
On 04/05/2016 22:22, Rod Speed wrote:

As long as it's not Australia, it appears to be populated by halfwits.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

wrote

<reams of your desperate attempts at insults that any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where they belong>
Whoops, nothing left, wota surprise.
On 04/05/2016 23:00, Rod Speed wrote:

Your record has stuck again. Can't you try something more original?
wrote

That fuckwit doesn’t qualify for anything original.

How old do you think I am, Wodney?
--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Nothing like old enough for me to need to be over 100 years old to have learned to saw before you were even born.
You'd need to be over 95 for that and you certainly aren't that given what you have said about what stuff you were involved with personally at the BBC just after starting there.
On 02/05/2016 10:24, T i m wrote:

Yes - perfect for making conical craters when you simply wanted a screw-hole for the curtain rail near a lintel.
--
Reentrant

On 02/05/2016 00:50, T i m wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific:
I already have a reasonably powerful battery-powered combi drill that I use for small jobs (screwing, drilling in wood, etc).
The garage is already full, so I am looking for just the one drill for the more heavy-duty jobs: masonry, large holes in wood, and although never tried it before, the option to be able to do the occasional chiselling (power points etc) also sounds attractive.
Weight is not a major issue as it will only be occasionally used.
<snip> >> In an ideal world you would have a 'big / SDS' drill for core drills

That's no problem. I covered all bases just in case. ;-)

Ok.

Then may I suggest you need a bigger garage (not less tools). ;-)

Again, I don't think any SDS drill used as a power chisel / 'hammer drill' will be as good as a 'proper' power chisel / Kango but if you are only doing smaller jobs with it (and not taking down a concrete air raid shelter, like we did) they can be a real asset.

Understood. I have one of the very first 'cheap' (as in 29 quid) SDS drills that I think came from Argos and it feels like it's been made out of old tank parts (and even smells the same).
As an aside, this hammer drill has an appeal and I don't know why ...? ;-)
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221544054641-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Cheers, T i m
On 02/05/2016 09:37, T i m wrote:

I think Makita's colours might go better with that top. :-)
--
Rod

'Top' ... oh, I see what you mean, I'd not noticed ... ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 02/05/2016 00:34, JoeJoe wrote:

I've had one of those 3 years now. It's very good indeed at heavier work - large holes/tough material drilling, or removing masonry for example. Makes my old B&D mains hammer and 18V hammer feel like toys.
I wouldn't use it for lighter jobs though - combination of: it's quite noisy, messy, big and heavy; cordless is more convenient; the chuck-changing and bit setting using the chuck is cumbersome (but the SDS system bits are easy); and, the variable speed isn't the last word in finesse.
--
Cheers, Rob

Rob, is it the Lidl one you have and is it three function as the selector appears to have only two positions and three is not mentioned in the text?
I am in the market for an SDS+ drill to replace my Makita that has just died after 3 years. On inspection I found that the pin driving the impact mechanism was blue from heat and the motor pinion teeth were mostly missing! I was dismayed to find that there was no apparent lubrication in the drive and gear mechanism.
I have compared the theoretical spec for the Lidl one and it appears (on paper!) to be up there with more expensive budget machines from Toolstation:
Lidl Impact force 3J, Input Power 1050W £40 Draper 20503 2.5J, 750W, £80 Both 0-5,300ipm Sparky BPR261E 3.1J, 820W, 0-5450ipm £100
Looking at Bosch at twice the price the spec appears to be the same but hopefully more reliable design and build quality .. but are they?
Mike
On 02/05/2016 11:16, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Here's mine:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47717472@N03/26165841493/
The setting it's on is the chisel 'hammer' symbol. The other two are drill and hammer drill. The 4th setting lets you turn the chisel.

Disappointing for Makita. Mine does get warm, and there's some grease supplied, which I suppose helps.

FWIW, mine is:
Impact energy: 3 joules max, 1050W Drilling capacity: 13 mm in steel max. 32 mm in wood max. 26 mm in concrete
The one on sale now does look a little different - the drill casing is fancier. And it's clean ;-)

Well, there's a question! I do like Bosch tools, but I find the Lidl/Aldi offerings work pretty well for me.
--
Cheers, Rob