On Topic: Lidl impact screwdriver on thursday

Looks like the impact mechanism is switchable.

Reply to
dennis

Is there any case where an impact screwdriver works? I hate the things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe you just don't use them for the right job?

Reply to
dennis

Pretty good for screwing 4x2" timbers together

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you talking about the modern battery drill like tool with a torsional impact action? (i.e. something akin to a small light electric version of the thing that tyre fitting places use for wheel nut removal), or are you talking about the old mechanical lump one hits with a hammer to free stuck fasteners?

The former, I find there are relatively few occasions where they don't work. The latter, outside of a mechanics workshop, useful once in a blue moon.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have one of those little Makita types. Absolutely brilliant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's interesting. I only have the big lump that you hit with a hammer and it's my go-to tool for freeing biggish stuck screws. That said, in its heyday it will only have been needed about once in 6 months.

Reply to
Bill

Yup, they[1] have their uses... stuck phillips head machine screws being a particular speciality, where they are good at turning while also strongly resisting cam out.

[1]
John Rumm

Do you have a decent one? I have the Makita which takes 14.4 NiCads and I think it is WONDERFUL. Easy to control over a wide speed range, and amazingly effective on stuck screws. Ordinary bits don't last long, though, and you have to replace the special bits more often than you would with an ordinary combi.

Reply to
newshound

As often as that? Every few years in my case. Changing the subject slightly, there was an interesting post recently where someone had a stuck pulley nut on a Belle cement mixer, and they got that off (without needing to lock anything) using a half inch square drive socket on an adaptor from a standard small cordless impact screwdriver. That prompted me to get a set of adaptors for mine too. Next time I have a tight car wheelnut, I'll give that a try instead of getting out the cheater.

Reply to
newshound

I had to take the pulley off an old washing machine the other day and I did exactly as I suggested in that thread and clamped the two standing parts of the belt together around the pulley and over a fixed part of the outer tub, it came off first time with a std 1/2" sq drive, socket and T bar (that I whacked with a hammer). ;-)

A mate has a fairly good make battery impact wrench and a pneumatic rattle gun and neither would touch the wheelnuts on his old Landy. A bigger compressor, larger i/d airlines and a new more powerful rattle gun seemed to sort it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm puzzled. is it thursday or the 29th? Is it 34.99 or 39.99?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Might vary by store - select the one nearest you and see what it does (mine is Thursday 26th and £35).

Aldi are a bit better with the weekly offer consistency, with their online shop.

Reply to
RJH

Which is why I bough one for my first Honda motorbike many years ago.

Now it's only recent use has been with a reverse thread "bolt drip" socket for undoing security dome nuts and it has been used on a security wheel nut successfully.

AJH

Reply to
news

Be careful when tightening them up, the ID can exceed the torque by quite a bit.

Reply to
dennis

A bit overtightened then? Maybe they needed oiling.

Reply to
dennis

Or a bit rusty / stuck.

I'd have used some release oil on them to help them off but he just used a bigger breaker bar (3/4" sqdr) on that side and the aforementioned bigger gear on the other side some days later.

He's a fan of using power tools but for me the speed advantage is somewhat consumed by the time it takes to get the extra tools out (and put away again).

Different if you were working in a garage etc and have all the tools to hand ... but we even built the kitcar outside as there wasn't room for the tools and kitcar (in kit form) and all the donor parts in the garage.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The last time I had an overtightened wheel nut I just put the normal wheel brace on and put the jack under the end and started to jack it. People often forget they already have a device with a huge mechanical advantage.

Reply to
dennis

I think the ability to do that can be a function of the depth of the wheel and the profile of the brace.

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Depends entirely on the type of jack the car has.

It's generally easier to simply stand on the wheel brace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)