Black slime

One of our downstairs toilets suffers with black slime building up in the cistern above the water line and up in the rim of the toilet bowl.

STWNFI keeps cleaning it off and treating it with bleach but it comes back!

Only this one out of three toilets in the house suffers yet they are all fed from the same mains supply.

Any guidance appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

So no improvement since this time last year then :-)

Black mould is common in my part of the world due to the general high humidity down here. HG mould spray gets rid of it, if not for good then for a very long time. Our kitchen sink would get smelly quite regularly, until it squirted some of the HG stuff down the overflow hole. No smells since, and that was well over a year ago. It's also effective on walls, for example behind wardrobes or cupboards where the air circulation is poor. Although it's obviously bleach-based from the smell, I'm sure there's something else in it that persists much longer than plain bleach.

Chris Hogg

Its mould. I imagine there is a place you have not seen where it also resides and the spores are just setting up new colonies. I'd look in hidden bits of the cistern. it might mean dismantling it, but they obviously like the warm weather and repeated dunking but not total immersion. Inside the siphon? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We've had that. It tends to build up on almost invisible layers of limescale.

Get rid of the limescale but using brick acid. Works a treat, but take care.

Reply to
Bob Eager

LAck of ventilation ?. Small rooms with open water sources have a problem in hot humid weather. Leave the door open and the lid up (ooer missus) when not being used ?.

Complete dismantling and cleaning all the nooks and crannies with strong bleach might be the only solution.

Reply to
Andrew

Bleach is relatively effective on slimes, the sodium hydroxide content breaks down the biofilm. You probably just need to do repeated frequent preventive cleans for a bit until all microscopic traces are gone.

You may have more success if you empty the cistern then clean it. Let it refill next day. Running a bit of bleach through from cistern to pan will also help attack slime where it's hidden.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr