Smelly toilet

I just moved in to a new house & the Toilet smell's. What can cause this & how can i fix the problem ?

Reply to
desgnr

< VERY important personal computer information snipped >

Seems like a stupid question, but exactly when does it smell, and what does it smell like? My first guess is that your floor wax seal is out. It goes from there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A new house with a new toilet or a different house with a previously used toilet?

I'd first try scrubbing under the rim. Some people don't clean that place very well.

Reply to
Tony

What is the design of the toilet? Here's why I ask:

Most toilets have the "normal" rim where the water comes out to fill the bowl. Let's say it's about 2" x 2" as shown here:

One of my toilets is a fancy elongated model which fills the bowl in kind of a "sheeting" action from a rim that is very narrow and extends about 4" down into the bowl.

It is very, very difficult to keep the area under the rim clean and the toilet has to be cleaned more often than our other toilet to keep it from smelling. In fact, you can't even see up into the rim area where water comes out which makes it impossible to get a cleaning brush or anything else all the way up under the rim.

After putting up with it for a few years, I am now under orders from SWMBO to replace it with a "standard toilet". As much as I hate to toss an *almost* perfectly good toilet, I have to admit that it really is a pain and it's beginning to smell sooner and sooner after each cleaning.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hire a housekeeper.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If the house is truly new (in many jurisdictions) you can require the vendor or builder to fix the smell at his own expense. As posts show, there are many possible causes. E.g. toilet pipe networks are equipped with a "stack vent" designed to disperse sewage odours at roof level: these can get blocked (or can be improperly constructed new.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

My guess is that school his school has not started yet.

Reply to
Frank

Clean it.

Reply to
Hugh Jassolle

Your problem toilet is not a Kohler or Toto is it?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't recall. I'll put a gas mask on and check it when I get home.

Do you want it if it is? :~}

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You gave way too much information about the situation to expect an answer. Most people will simply give up after the second paragraph where you described the details...

Reply to
George

You rather smell a housekeeper???????

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

My guess is that school his school has not started yet.

Frank: Not all odors from a toilet are from shit in the bowl. But since that is the only one your mind can comprehend, this conversation is over.

AND, your sentence doesn't make any sense. Donkey.

You may leave now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Bob F" wrote in news:i65ic0$tum$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Red Green

After reading the replies, are you sorry you asked? (G) ww

Reply to
WW

Universal-Rundle as seen here...

DerbyDad03

Point is, he's a troll and you're too dumb to notice it ;)

Reply to
Frank

Not too dumb to plonk your morphing troll ass, though.

Reply to
Steve B

I had a problem like that years ago; bad smell but everything seemed to be in working order. I finally discovered that many of the holes under the rim had clogged with lime over the years so that the back part wasn't getting properly rinsed down. I used a nail to unclog the sediment in the holes and the problem was solved.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

replying to Joe, franklinw wrote: Why do you ask about the Toto? my Toto is only 1 year old and it is smelling? Thanks-

Reply to
franklinw