Laser printer problems

My Dell C1760nw laser printer no longer wants to print labels properly. Instead of all the ink sticking to the paper properly first time some of it gets left behind and then printed lower down the page messing up what is supposed to be there.

It used to work properly. I used a different brand of labels which are a bit better. How can I solve this problem and why might it have started happening?

Plain paper is printed properly.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Possibly you picked wrong grade of label stock

Too smooth by half as it were.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One supplier of 3rd part toners suggests "Gently slide the green tab of the drum unit from side to side several times to clean up the corona wire."

Dell's troubleshooting section suggests using their toolbox to increase the fuser temperature.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd suspect the choice of label. The latest roll of labels that I bought (not for printing) are distinctly glossy, they don't even take ball pen all that well.

Reply to
newshound

Wrong sort of label stock that the toner doesn't adhere to is the most likely cause - some have traces of silicone on the front face.

Something is worn somewhere that makes less good contact - I have two identical Dell 1230CN printers (I bought a spare to get the 3 sets of free toner). Towards the end of its useful life the first became more and more erratic about printing onto challenging thick paper and labels. Eventually it wouldn't print reliably on anything.

That will change when things wear out a bit more. Other possibility is that the toner you are using is not matched to the printer and failing to behave correctly when heated. Slippy labels is most likely though if it still works consistently on equivalent thickness ordinary paper.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks for your help. It also appears I can set the paper type to lables which does alos help as well. I have lived in happy ignorance of these settings in the past!

Reply to
Michael Chare

I bought the printer 5 years ago. I don't use it very much. At first I thought I might be using a different brand of cartridge, but I later realised that was not the case. I was not aware I could change the paper type to labels but doing that has made a difference. I always amazes me how quickly google can tell me about people with the same problem.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes, changing the 'paper type' setting changes the temperature and or duration in the heated fixing rollers. When I print on envelopes I have to wait slightly longer before they emerge.

Reply to
Dave W

Could you have labels that are meant for inkjet printers ?

Reply to
whisky-dave