Dry lining boxes

In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard, leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Reply to
Scott

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guessed that. I'm wondering whether it is a recognised method or a bodge. i

Reply to
Scott

Certainly a recognised method but badly executed. Within the backbox itself there might be a method to aligning the faceplate when fitted as there is in most metal plaster in boxes.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No. But you can pull them out and replace. It's the lugs that clamp them when done up as I'm sure you're aware.

No reason why not. if the lugs can accommodate the thickness.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect they screwed them on that way because the lugs would not go back far enough to hook round the chipboard. As I have previously said I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

These claim up to 18mm

Andy Burns

I was at this stage but having read some of the other posts I feel wiser :-)

Reply to
Scott

Some of the 47mm dry liners have lugs that will fit double boarded walls.

Probably Scolmore ones from memory, but not the Appeleby ones with the yellow lugs.

Reply to
ARW

Get them back to do the job properly.

Reply to
ARW

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in dispute.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks. I make the thickness 18mm but that is not an accurate measurement given I have not removed the existing box.

There is plenty of space behind so I wonder if a 47mm box would be a better bet.

Looking elsewhere, I wonder if a pattress box - with four screws in the corners - would be an option. This must happen all the time with chipboard. I am amazed that the boxes don't fit by default.

Reply to
Scott

Sorry. More research. Up to 20mm.

Scott

What have electrics got to do with it?

This is a mechanical job.

Reply to
ARW

If the complaint is that the sockets are crooked in or another plane then this is aesthetics, net electrical fitting, so you are as qualified as anyone to object.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's about electrical fitting, as I said. As I see it, if the electrician gives evidence that it is customary to fit in this way, and bring witness to this effect, then I don't see how I can win in the absence of technical evidence. Unless anyone here fancies a wee day out ....

Reply to
Scott

If they have not done the wiring yet, simply take out the crap ones and fit the right sort, they probably will not notice it anyway. Even if the wiring is done replacing like for like is not notifiable so you can still do DIY.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That is exactly what I am planning to do. I am waiting for a replacement socket from MK. I have bought a box with screws in the front (also MK) which I hope will overcome all the fitting difficulties and produce a neat job. .

Reply to
Scott

If the final result looks nice and is stable then it is probably as good a way of fitting them as any and I don't see what you are complaining about. If they don't look straight and satisfactory you need no technical evidence to reject them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Because screws that should move in or out with ease require a huge amount of force to align and insert. Boxes must be designed with moveable lugs for a reason.

Reply to
Scott