Kress drill (Attn Mr Medway!)

Hello,
I'm interested in buying a cordless drill but I also need to buy right-angled drill attachment. I've used the cheap silverline ones but the gearboxes always wear out. The Medway handyman recommended a Wickes drill made by Kress IIRC but neither the Wickes nor Kress web site give much details.
I would want it for DIY use. What are your recommendations/opinions on this drill? Is there another cheap right angled drill corded or cordless?
In addition to drilling does it also do screw driving? Does it have a hammer action drill?
My main question is about the 90 degree drilling. Does the special adapter lock in one position or can it be angled in any direction? How tough is the attachment? Will it stand years of use/abuse? IE is it infinity better than the silverline attachments!
TIA
Fred wrote:

I'd highly reccommend the Wickes/Kress combi drill drivers, but I don't have the right angle attachment - that were someone else.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

It's called a Wicks Professional 15.6v High Torque Cordless Drill.

I don't know of another. But it's not exactly cheap - just decent value. The batteries seem top quality as is the charger.

Yes to both. And it's an excellent screwdriver. Can't really comment on the hammer action as I seem only to need plain drilling or SDS. ;-)

It locks in a number of positions. To all intents and purposes any direction.

It seems pretty tough and well made. The adaptor is all metal. But mine doesn't get the hard use a pro might give it.
Only thing I would add is its maximum speed is rather slower than most cordless drills. Which might be a factor if you're drilling lots of small holes in wood.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

It doesn't have hammer action.

Didn't think you had one 'cause you didn't know where the screwdriver bits were stored either...
Or perhaps you simply haven't found it. Slide the black wedge on the top back forward.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

A pleasant surprise.
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:28:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
just visited the wickes web site: "This product is not available to view." ;(

There is a little pic of it. It is now only 79. If so that is a great buy. It may be for purchase at the stores only.

I have the version without the right-angle attachment. It's a very good drill and a very good screwdriver. The batteries are decent and it comes with an intelligent charger so it doesn't overcook them. It's been used on a couple of house renovations and still going strong. A friend who uses his in his job rates it highly too.

It doesn't have hammer action. It's purely a drill driver.

There are a couple of downloadable pdfs on the Kress website but they're not in the most obvious places:
<http://download.kress-elektrik.de/en/index.php?action=view&catq1&PHPSE SSIDD16676dcba040267e8efacd233076bb>
<http://download.kress-elektrik.de/en/index.php?loginname=kressdb_en&pass wordcess&action=view&cat5>

I previously had the PPPro (GMC) one, like this:
http://www.silverlinetools.com/index.html?codev3617
It did the job but no great shakes and the varibale speed trigger has just died, so I'm looking at getting the Kress.
If you're not in the market for a Bosch/Makita, the cheap cordless option is the 18v one from Toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=angle+drill

I think you'll find the person recommending it was IMM/Drivel. Hardly surprising - he and Dave Plowman agree on everything. Honestly, you'd struggle to shove a cigarette paper between those boys' opinions.....

The Silverline can be had for around 26. It is a "mains" angle drill and the cheapest angle drill around, so worth it for occasioonal use which angle drills are used get anway. Many angle adapters are that price.

Yep @ 160 for a B&D. Duh!

It would be worth it for occasional use if it worked for occasional use. But as I said, I had the identical PPPro one, it had occasional use and the switch died. So I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't buy another.
At 26 it is cheap though, so for *very occasional* occasional use...

The 18v drill on the link I provided is 49. So why the "Duh!"?

OK you had a bad one. Is that exactly the same drill as the PPPro? The switches must be available to buy. A mains angle drill is handy for drilling joists for cables and pipes.

Never noticed that. :( There is huge a difference in price there from 160 - 115 - 49. The 115 one looks the best as it can in tighter and a normal chuck not a keyless.
The 49 drill is way cheaper than the rest (OK no 2nd battery), so why so cheap?

Yeah, I accept that a sample of one is not statistically significant and maybe I just had the Friday afternoon one. But the truth is it's just not great. It's a different body shape to any other mains angle drill for no obvious or good reason. Seems quite large and long in comparison which partly defeats the object of an angle drill.
It's got a keyless chuck but the back part of the chuck is covered by a shroud to stop you touching it. Instead you have to use a manual spindle lock button on the top of the drill, and waggle the front end of the chuck until the lock engages. Either the keyless chuck alone or an auto spindle lock would be fine. But what's the point of this perverse arrangement?
It's never sounded particularly smooth-running from the get-go.
And B&Q (and GMC who supplied them) have both discontinued them.

Yup.
That's a reasonable assumption and one that I made too. So far, it's proved not to be true.
I rung customer services at B&Q's head office. They scoffed at the idea of getting it repaired but gave me a number for GMC's UK office.
I phoned GMC who said the service dept would call me back.
I phoned GMC twice more each time asking to speak to the service dept, each time being told they'd call me back.
The fourth time I phoned, I got ratty with them. This did have the effect of getting the "service dept" to call back. It also revealed why I couldn't be put through to the service dept. There is no service dept. What GMC do is get your local B&Q to ring you back and tell you (surprise, surprise) that they don't and never have kept spares.
What a f*cking farce.
If you look at the forum on GMC's website you'll see similar stories of GMC's customer service, several from their home country of Australia --- so it's not just the satellite operation that's crap.
I took the switch in to Maplin but it's all pre-moulded and sealed and they couldn't help. On another thread, someone actually explained to me how he'd carved the switch of a similar product apart and replaced the innards but that it's probably easier to find another knackered tool (knackered in another way, that is), salvage the switch from that and botch it into this...... which I'd do if I had another variable spped mains tool that was knackered.
The only option I haven't explored is phoning Silverline about spares (although there's no mention of spares on their website). And to be honest, if it were available and it cost more than a couple of quid inc P&P, i'm not sure I'd do it 'cause I'd essentially be spending money to repair something that wasn't that good to start with.

Well, it's not Dewalt - it just looks like one.

At 30ish and 3 yr guarabntee it can't be that bad. The next price up for a mains angle drill is 112 or so.

The Makita and Hitachi mains angle angle drills are great for getting in tight - 170 minimum I see. Shock! :-0

That was over 50 or so. This is a lot cheaper.

Silverline may be different. I have seen their tools in trade only outlets so some sort of backup may be in place.

Worth a try.

Oh yes. I wonder who makes it. Sparky stuff is rebadged a lot, it may be their angle drill. Sparky is decent pro stuff and well priced. The core drill is very cheap and many tradesmen are using it.
The Trend Impact Driver is made by Sparky and costs twice the price - Sparky is 99 from Screwfix. And Trend sell all the spare parts too, as I'm sure Sparky do for their products.
<http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/product_list.php?list_type=6&li ...>
The Sparky <
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/27/p3693327_x.jpg ?
Trend T50 <http://tinyurl.com/2yo952
The Sparky must be a decent product otherwise a quality company like Trend would not sell it under their name.
Back to angle drills. The Wickes/Kress drill is excellent value. The Plantpot says it is also a hammer drill too. New to me and I have used one. I'll have to look. This Kress drill gets in real tight too - one of the reasons for getting an angle drill at times. A kitchen fitter would do well to get one of these.
At 120, 99 in occasional deals, it offers a hell of a lot. A quality dedicated angle drill, which cannot get in tighter than the Kress, is 160 alone. This drill means one or two less tools to carry around for tradesmen.

Looks like the OEMs are coming out with their own versions of the Kress-type cordless angle drill at least.
Hope this link works. Scroll down about halfway to the thing that looks like ED-209 from RoboCop:
http://www.ferm.com/framesgen.asp?SectionID &TreeID=0&PageID@
Ferm were sold by Screwfix amongst others. You don't see them any more.

It looks about the same lengthy as a small Impact Driver. I would rather have one of thse to drill. But!! Can you get stubby bits that will drill 28mm holes with a 1/4" hex shank?

The Ryobi bare angle drill is around 50-60, which may be the better buy if you have the ONE+ batteries and other ONE+ kit.
mike wrote:

This is probably the better deal:
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_2274/cordless-power-tools/drill-drivers/dewalt-dw966k-14-4v-cordless-angle-drill-driver.html
Been pleased with my one...
--
Cheers,

John.

John, How do the cordless ones perform with spade bits or augers?