Kress drill (Attn Mr Medway!)

Does not compute.

They don't make hacksaws so how would you know?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Taking a hacksaw to them is the bets thing. They do make some real poor quality trash. Panasonic, Hilti, etc are far superior.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you buying your tools in Ladbrokes now? I know that they already serve cabbages so not too much of a stretch

How would you know? Which products do you own?

Reply to
Andy Hall

HIlti are far superior to Makita.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which Hilti and which Makita products do you own or have you used?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Many over the years. I used the original Hilti which you smacked with a hammer and set off an explosive charge which fired the nail in. Much fun.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Somebody let you loose with explosives?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I agree that 6mm is the only one I ever use. Perhaps a smaller one for the occasional pilot hole. I wonder why 6mm should be the most common size?

The point I was trying to make was that it seemed strange to include just one pozi bit. It would have been better to include nothing at all. If they were going to include a bit, they could have at least included a slotted screwdriver bit as well. Including just one looked mean and miserly!

Reply to
Fred

I reckon its because of Fischer Fixings using it as a standard size & lets face it you don't often need bigger.

See what you mean, bits aren't exactly expensive anyway are they?

How are you getting on with the drill?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was some historical reason to do with

6mm being (about) a quarter of an inch but I guess I was thinking too hard! I am sure it is because screws are a certain size that wall plugs have to be that little bit larger and coincidently it works out at 6mm.

I have not tried the right-angle attachment yet. It seems the builders ran all the pipework and cables under the landing so there's no room for me to drill and add anything else ;)

I have drilled into some masonry with it. There was one particularly hard brick but it drilled into that (for a 6mm wall plug) albeit it took a little longer than average.

Reply to
Fred

I forgot to say, the greatest thing about it (or any cordless drill) is the convenience. I know it should not be a problem to plug an extention lead in but for some reason I used that as an excuse not to do jobs. Now that I can just pick up the drill and go to work, I am more eager to do the things I've never got round to before.

Reply to
Fred

This drill is not a hammer drill. Is that so?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If he puts a BOSH multi-construction drill in it I don't think he would notice. Those things drill concrete with or without the hammer.

Reply to
dennis

They do indeed, bloody brilliant things. Great for battening walls, straight through the wood into the wall, whack in a hammer fix & bobs your uncle.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I believe they blunt quickly when used in concrete or brick. I have used one as I have never had the need to buy one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hello again,

Just to clarify, I was using the Bosch muti-construction 6mm, like we were saying earlier in the thread, it's more or less the only bit/size I use!

My drill definitely has no hammer action. One poster said there was a switch on the top but on mine that switch selects the gear; one is marked with a drill icon, the other with a screw icon.

I haven't has a cordless drill before so I really enjoy the convenience of it.

It did drill into the brick, it was just that the brick was quite tough and it took longer than the other three holes. Those other holes were into brick too and they went in easily.

HTH.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry for the late reply. I've had a letter from Wickes. They say that this model has never had hammer action. They also say it's a Draper model.

I was using a Bosch bit into brick with it the other day. I don't think it has blunted but perhaps I didn't do enough holes to have an effect?

I was struggling to get into the corners. It was only once I had scuffed my shiny new drill that I realised I could have used the attachment to get into the corners more easily ;)

Reply to
Fred

The Wickes drill with the angle attachment is not a Draper, it is clearly a Kress. The pictures of the Kress and the Wickes are identical in every way, except the colour. They are wrong, probably in an attempt to fob you off as they are dropping the drill.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Why can't they both be Draper? Lots of companies badge other companies stuff.

Reply to
dennis

That's what I thought. The original post said it was a Kress so I went to the Kress web site to learn more. As you say, they are identical except in colour. Probably the letter got answered by someone in customer services who didn't know, rather than someone in purchasing who knew where they got it from!

Reply to
Fred