Kress drill (Attn Mr Medway!)

Noticed the other day that the grey range has a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A trade outlet.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Less usual. Batteries packs are made of of multiple individual cells wired togther so there're more in an 18v, fewer in a 12v.

Kress guarantee to keep spares for 10 years after they cease production of a particular model. Their service agents used to be BMJ Power (the old Black and Decker service centres after a managemnet buy-out) but they went bust. I don't know who the current UK service agents are but the contact details will be included with the drill. Or Wickes will tell you if you ask at the desk. Or you can email Kress.

I just read Dave Plowman's post that his has definitely got hammer action. I must have the previous model 'cause it has two gears but no hammer action. Also Dave said "Slide the black wedge on the top back forward" to find the screwdriver bits. On mine, you unclip the battery to reveal the stored bits.

Looks like they've just run out of stock on the Wickes website: "This product is not available to view."

Reply to
mike

My apologies. There were other people saying they had Wickes drills but not that one, and I thought you fell into that category. If the

15.6v has hammer, drill, screw, and right angle drill capabilities I must rush out and buy one.
Reply to
Fred

I've heard of people buying the display item when the shop has run out of stock, but buying the display item online must be a first :-)

Reply to
David in Normandy

Yes, but if the batteries get screwed by over discharge they won't.

So it's best to change batteries as soon as they start to 'fade'

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I called my branch; they said the computer says the last delivery was (IIRC) two years ago but they still have two in stock! What does that say about the people round here? Obviously they don't buy drills or buy them from somewhere else! The computer also said they could not be reordered and that, combined with its absence from the web site, makes me agree with you that they are being reduced to clear, so I would urge anyone else in my position to get one now while you still can!

Reply to
Fred

Wickes never sold the drill properly. They never advertised the angle attachment at all. I went into one branch and they never knew it could be converted to angle drill. The average punter would see a £100 to £120 drill driver (Plantpot says it is also a hammer too) and walk away thinking it was just a simple overpriced drill driver. If what has been said her is right it is:

  1. Drill/driver
  2. Hammer drill
  3. Angle drill.

The punters are the losers here, as a quality 3 function drill is not know to them or on the market any more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No - that's to engage the hammer action. Slightly unusual as most drills have this control near the front.

As mine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think you'll be disappointed at 80 quid. Or even at the 110 I paid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One theory is they're pretty plain looking for a causal purchase and don't have the 'name' either for a 100 quid plus drill. I bought it mainly for the right angle function but it's now my drill of choice out of several.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Main problem is that it is a niche tool, so there will probably never be the sales volume to get decent ones at a low price.

Reply to
John Rumm

It surprised me just how often I use the adaptor. Lets you drill cable holes etc through joists 'square' rather than at an angle as before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It looks about the same lengthy as a small Impact Driver. I would rather have one of thse to drill. But!! Can you get stubby bits that will drill

28mm holes with a 1/4" hex shank?
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hello,

Just to say I have been and bought one. As far as I can see, there is no hammer action. On both mine and the display model there is a black switch on the top which is marked with drill and screw icons and it selects the high or low gear. Interestingly on the 18v models the switch is a different style and marked H and L.

The only other black button I could see was the forward/reverse switch.

It says nothing on the box, nor instructions, nor display material about hammer action but it does say on the box that specification may change so I am guessing I have a different version to you. How can we tell? Is there a model number on it or is there a bar code on your box?

I would have expected specs to improve and functions to be added; not removed! Anyway I bought it for the 90 degree attachment and I am sure I will use that more than I would have used hammer action.

I agree that the display makes no mention of the attachment so many people probably walk away thinking why pay £79/£99/£110 for a cordless drill when they could get one at Screwfix for £29.

One display model gave me a shock because it worked when I pressed the trigger; I was expecting them to be dummy bodies. I have taken my drill out of the box and its batteries are charged too. I guess it has been in its box a while, so we may not need to worry about the comments that nicads discharge if not used.

Reply to
Fred

Not saying they are not useful - quite the opposite. Just more a question of numbers... many people will want a drill, but they are unlikely to want a dedicated angle drill as their first or only one.

It is surprising how few "ordinary" drills have some form of angle adaptor included though. Perhaps it is a cost issue - cheap angle adaptors never seem to last long.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry to reply to my own post but I just wanted to say:

I couldn't find a hammer action switch on the 18v display model but I didn't look too closely because I wasn't buying that.

There is no mention about drilling masonry in the instructions, so I am thinking there is no hammer action.

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so special about that one?

Thanks for all your help so far, I am sure I will enjoy my purchase ;)

Reply to
Fred

Dave,

Are you absolutely sure it has hammer action? The "black wedge" (well blue on my version) switches between first and second gear.

You also said, "Can't really comment onthe hammer action as I seem only to need plain drilling" and that "its maximum speed is rather slower than most cordless drills".

This hammer action that you've not used... it's not actually *second* gear, is it?

I hope not 'cause if it is, IMM's gonna have a field day over this :-)

Fred,

I wouldn't worry about it not having hammer action. If you want to drill into anything other than lightweight blocks, you're better off with an SDS anyway and they're cheap enough these days.

Reply to
mike

more torque ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mike, I am laughing right now. I feel so stupid actually believing the Plantpot in the first place (well I did have reservations). It was me who put him onto it in the first place.

Fabulous drill One of these and an SDS will do most people for most things.

The Wickes SDS is great too (again made by Kress). Well worth it.

Wickes need top be told about this drill and what it does and that they should push its functions. It is a shame this drill will now be taken out of the UK.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel