Kitchen Refurbishment

The wife has picked the units and there going on the longest "L" She fancies that 13mm flooring and tiles between the floor and wall units

Any advice would be appreciated as to correct order to do work

"L" shaped kitchen built as an extension on a terraced house

External roof recovered and new Velux skylight fitted

To do Make good round Velux and replaster ceiling

My intention is to Fit base and wall units Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall As all the articles I have seen say the flooring needs to move, do I lay the flooring upto the units leaving an expansion gap or do you lay the flooring under the units to the opposite wall?????

The next intention was to tile the wall and then fit the worktops Is this correct?????

Many Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Walford

I'd lay it flush againt the wall, after taking off the skirting board, put the skirting back on after, makes a neat finish. Have the opposite side of the flooring almost touching the floor unit legs. (this is assuming you are not having an open bottom, but fitting the plinth/kickboards). This will give any expansion needed, though in practices, I have never noticed any expansion/contraction on my flooring. The plinths/kickboards will likely to be too tall, so will need 10mm or so taking off them, not a difficult job.

I'd always do worktop first.Put the tiles 2mm above the worktop level, then you can squeeze silicone into the gap to create a good seal.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Agreed. And fit the wall units so that the distance between worktop & wall unit is a multiple of uncut tiles - looks better & saves work. Or tile above worktops & fit wall units flush with top of tiles.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Having had a kitchen where someone tiled after fitting the units, I always lay the floor wall-to-wall first. However, I might do this the other way around if I expected the units to outlast the floor, but with the ceramic floor tiles I have used, I expect them to outlast the units.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled:

Agree - I would certainly fully lay the floor first, wall to wall.

With the walls, it's a bit wasteful to tile everywhere, so I'd fit the units and tile to them.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If you want to save tiles, leave them out directly under the units, but never tile TO the units. Makes getting a splashproof seal very hard, and leads to dirt and water getting trapped there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Definitely. My tip is to seal the back of the worktop to the wall with silicone BEFORE tiling, and then tile over that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use cheap tiles (or whatever) of the same thickness under the units

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks to all for advice