Kindle - Do all Kindles have very poor touch screen responses?

I wasn’t making any judgement. I was just offering my opinion as to why the touch screens on Kindles are relatively unresponsive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They aren't.

Reply to
zall

its not the response to a page turn, though that will sometimes hum forward, that I complained about.Trying to access the home page via the top let corner can be tedious as can seeking links to suggested reads

Reply to
fred

I don't think the speed of the processor has much to do with touch response, at least that should be true if the design (as in software) is done right. The 'paper white' screens are quite slow to re-display when you go from page to page but that's inherent in the hardware I think. They're not so slow that it slows one's reading, just slow enough for it to be noticeable to our human eyes.

Reply to
Chris Green

I had an early Kindle Keyboard. I had about 1000 books on it, and in terms of memory capacity it was nowhere near full.

Sometimes the delay was tens of seconds when navigating between books.

When I replaced it with a Kobo, I deleted books from the Kindle, and it was clear that it got faster the more books I deleted.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, but that's not really touch response is it? To my mind slow touch response means the tablet/reader doesn't notice you've tapped it unless you tap 'slowly' as it were. What you're reporting is that the underlying operating system is slow to move around the file system.

Admittedly, unless the tablet/reader has good user feedback to indicate that is *has* seen your touch (but not yet done what you want) then it's maybe a bit difficult to tell the difference between slow touch response and something requested by the touch happening slowly.

To make myself clear using a command line analogy 'touch response' is the immediate echoing of characters as you type them into a system. A system which doesn't echo characters almost instantly can be very difficult to use. However doing what you've asked by typing in some characters may take quite some time.

Reply to
Chris Green

Did it get lighter too? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We've got two kindles here with screens totally unresponsive to touch. Mind you, that is probably because they predate those with touch screens by some margin, I would think. They still work fine, though.

Have they done away with the hardware buttons on touch screen ones, then?

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

Unfortunately yes. Would have been nice if they had kept “page forward” and “page back” buttons.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's another reason why I went for a Kobo Forma, it has back a forward buttons as well as the touch screen.

Reply to
Chris Green

I didn't have the drug scales handy...

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1 Install Calibre on laptop or PC with plugin and convert epub to azw and visaversa. Also makes it easy to share ebooks.
Reply to
Robert

Makes more sense to convert to mobi

Reply to