Super Glue

I've never had much luck with super glue plus accelerator and I just wondered do they age badly, (i.e) if my super is past its sell by date, or use by date, is that my problem

Reply to
fred

Probably, not all superglue is equal, if you look up the various kinds in say a loctite catalogue you can see though they are often based on that unpronounceable word, they have different properties. They do seem to last less long once used though, particularly those tiny little tubes that never seem to reseal very well unless you want to glue your hand to them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

When I used to make mode R/C aeroplanes I used Cyanoacrylate (the active ingredient in superglue) and kept it in the freezer when not in use. It kept a lot longer.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I keep mine in the fridge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

With those mini tubes of superglue I just throw any left over away after use. Too much inconsistency in being able to use them again after a few weeks/months.

Reply to
alan_m

Lidl had some UHU superglue last week, three small 1g tubes in a pack. Can't remember how much, but not much.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

many thanks for he helpful responses. I'll follow the advice and in future but small tubes

Reply to
fred

I make sure there is no air in the nozzle, put a small doubled-up piece of cling film over the top as a seal, and screw on the lid. Not perfect, but this seems to me to have made it more likely that the glue will be usable at a later date.

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

What is so unpronouncable about cyanoacrylate ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Apply it to your lips and try :)

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

This is no laughing matter, boy.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Accelerator ? All it needs is water vapor, and a very small amount of water vapor.

ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate

ECA, commonly sold under trade names such as "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"

Melting point −22°C

That means, if your kitchen refrigerator is set to 1C for milk and -15C for frozen food, the glue tube could be kept in either. You don't really want to freeze it solid.

I keep mine in the 1C portion of the refrigerator, with the milk.

It lasts quite nicely, when refrigerated.

It should be packed, with as many containers as it comes with. The 1gm tubes, put the pin back in, then put the tube back in the medicine vial it comes packed in. Then, deposit in fridge.

it's not packed in water. The ethyl is quite low viscosity, it's runny, it goes places you don't want it to go.

It will stick your fingers together. You can keep a can of acetone handy, in an attempt to remove it. If you get that glue in your eye, you're "off to emergency". I don't think the doctors will be impressed, as they don't like cleanup any more than you do. If you're using the stuff "over your head", wear *really good* goggles. Maybe ski goggles are called for. You don't want swim goggles, because the swim goggles could get glued to your face, and too close to your eyes.

"It is soluble in acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, nitromethane, and methylene chloride."

Of those solvents, acetone is the safe one.

You should not use methylene chloride in the house (needs ventilation).

*******

"The molecules of this acrylic resin react on contact with the hydroxyl ions found in water. Because some trace of water can be found on the surface of almost anything, super glue can bond immediately and tightly to almost any object."

"The chemical process that super glue undergoes is called anionic polymerization. This dries up the water to create the bond,"

And that's why you use multiple levels of seal, to keep moisture away from it.

You can also pinch and hold two objects together, with superglue between them, and exhale some of your damp breath, on the edge of the object. Which presents some water to the edge of the glue joint. It is unlikely to want or need an excess of water.

Now, the reason this works (breathing on the edge of the glue joint), is the reaction is a form of chain reaction. One water molecule, helps polymer chains form with just the one molecule. The chains are not infinitely long, because of the possibility of a competing reaction for chain termination. This is to try to explain, how it's possible that the water from your breath, is enough.

"FIGURE 6 | Schematic representation of poly(alkyl cyanoacrylate) formation via the stepwise anionic polymerization mechanism in emulsion/dispersion. Initiation step (a), reversible propagation step (b), and reversible termination step (c)."

(
)

Repeated presentation of liquid water (immersion), to a mature SuperGlue joint, causes failure. That's why you can't really glue sneakers back together for very long. One rainy day, and "it's start all over again".

There is actually an excellent glue for footwear. It comes in a liter can, you can't possibly use it all up, it's dangerous, and it expires in about a year sitting in the can. The very definition of "useless" :-) But if someone asks, is there a glue, yes, there is. Not all shoe repairs use it. Shoe repair guys like the toluene snot, because they get high off the fumes. There was one shoe repair shop in the old neighbourhood, where the fume level in the shop was off the scale, and you just know the guy sits around all day, high as a kite. You can use ventilation to remove toluene fumes. You don't have to live like that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

If its hermetically sealed it lasts, but one way to test it is to drop some on baking powder.

I will leave you to discover why.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generally they last a few months

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

3 bottles on a card in the £1 shop (used to be 4). Much easier to use than the tubes. Also have thin & medium from Toolstation which is over 5 years old & still going strong (pun intended). The £1 shop glue is thinner than the Toolstation thin glue.
Reply to
wasbit

Super glue is anything but "super" its suitable for a narrow range of bonding. Its brittle so anything that flexes won't stick for long. It won't fill gaps, so the surfaces must mate closely. It won't stick many substances, it degrades in the presence of water...

.. so are you using it appropriately?

Sadly my pound shop has closed, but still have a toolstation and a screwfix within walking distance..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Put the part used tube in a plastic bag and store it in the freezer.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

+1

Just a drop of water from a spray, or a bit of steam from a kettle is enough.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

sigh an oh ack ri late

they have different properties. They do seem to

Not a bad plan

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not. accelerator is good, baking soda is best.

wet breath helps, but is not the best

For some reason carbon fibre causes it to go bananas and if it doesnt catch fire, create a carbon fibre composite in no time flat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher