Key recovery?

What is the modern equivalent of the key tags offering a reward for return of a key ring?

Asa workshop now has 6 keys just to get in door, thanks for all advice after recent attempted break in, BTW found Sony 1/3" Super HAD cameras give much better picture than any of the competitors but anyway, now have bunch of keys that would be inconvenient to lose, Abloy keys are expensive.

Are there key return services around that offer a reward to a finder or is it just as feasible to putr a tag with anonymous email offering a reward to a returning finder?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

We have Sentinel credit card protection

who also protect our keys. Been with them many years so no idea of current prices but might be worth looking at. Never had to use them (thankfully) so can't say how good they are when needed though.

Reply to
John

Not answering your question - but wouldn't it be better to have all the locks keyed alike with a registered profile (i.e. can't be copied in the high street) - and then if keys are lost, have all the locks rekeyed immediately?

The initial cost of keyed-alike may be high, but rekeying if needed is not so bad.

Hoping to have a lost bunch of keys returned, and hanging on and not changing the locks - well it's about the same security level as keys under the doormat.

Plus - if you incur a loss after no forced entry - your insurer may not pay out.

Reply to
dom

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby saying something like:

There are various key return services around - I was subscribed to one as a freebie for a couple of years, but didn't bother carrying it on when it became a paid service, so can't say how good it would have been.

Otoh, the tag system does still work quite well.

Grimly Curmudgeon

I have it too - comes with my version of a Visa card. Lost my car keys once, and they arrived back a couple of days later by post. So very worth it. It's also a form of identification if something happened to you while out with no wallet, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

be a p1sser if you lost your house keys and the postman duly posted them back thru the letterbox in your locked door....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

> who also protect our keys.

Me too. What I liked when I signed up (offered via Amex) was the key tag was brass with the number embossed into it, easy to read. The current tags are still metal and quite robust but silvered and difficult to read. Some key return tags are plastic and printed, not robust enough and the print wears off...

I've not lost my keys so can't comment on the return side, which is reliant on some one finding and posting them back to Sentinel anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doubt if even I'd wait around for that long...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any even half secure system doesn't have the house address on the tag...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

eh? S for Sentinel?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Adam

Try KEYCARE

Cover £1000 per key tag, also includes car hire if car keys lost/stolen.

Alec

Reply to
alho

posted

Ah I see the other meaning, I was thinking of the drop in post box straight back to house via PO, rather than drop in post box, delivered to Sentinel (or who ever) then sent to you. I would hope that they send them in something that makes some attempt to disguise that the package does contain keys and requires a signature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

earlier post just says "in the post" - Ping Mr Plowman......

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Pretty well anything you get 'in the post' comes in a envelope or padded bag etc unless just printed material. My keys were no different - came in a Jiffy bag. I can't remember if they had to be signed for.

I believe a finder can drop them in a post box, though, and the PO sorts things out from there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks like quite a good product with one gotcha for my needs, home office wuthin boundaries of home, need workshop somewhat external to home.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Being a skinflint at heart, but having seen first hand and one of first on scene, aftermath of break in , has been rubbed into me

if you think security is expensive , think of the alternative...

Having reviewed padlock choices, by viewing youtube, type padlock prospect into search, marvel at someone opening it in 10 secs with a bent paperclip.

Only real contenders are Squire SS65, thankfully already there and laughed at bolt cutters , Ingersoll and Abloys in various sizes.

Real money puts Abloy 342 , nice closed shoulder ones , popular on shipping ocntainers because of corrosion resistance, at a bit over

100 quid each retail , common Ebay find for 30 quid or less, 362 is over 200 quid in a shop find them new for well less than half that.

Abloy are expensive and sometimes impossible to get keys copied for, recoring locks entirely possible but at a price!

Lesser locks either easily pickable, over hardened and shatter or are just plain mince.

Have spares for all the locks, but some of them are only spare so would like chance of recovering originals.

What puts me off mobile phone number tag, possible to link main mobile number to address some keys relate to fairly easily.

But in betwen full blown insurance with hefty annual recurring and phone tag or some home brew effort think may have a winner

Immobilise The UK National Property Register, genuine Police run thing

keytags 19.99, RFID tag for bikes is tenner less than Datatag as well.

If lost all spares to workshop , entry would be neither quiet nor quick.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

It does cover home and office keys unlike Sentinel but as I understand it, sentinel will pay up to 600 GBP per claim including lock change etc and/or overnight onward transport /car hire.

Keycare`s Angelcare agin just under 40 quid a year has limit of 40 GBP per day on car hire and 80 GBP on hotel costs, so depends on what looking to protect against , though ID theft and `emotional support` does actualy sound reassuring.

Something need to look at what out of house, business, car , bank and card issuers am altready with can offer.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Something would always worry me about buying cheap locks from J. Random Stranger on ebay, who therefore knows the delivery address and has had access to the keys ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

paranoia?

nb:- buyer also knows where seller lives/d to inform plod...

...must be fairly desperate pikey to gamble on a 200mile say road trip to see if he can find the padlock he flogged on ebay without being spotted, filmed, arrested, without even knowing what it's being used for?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Presactly, and if you're still concerned, get a friend to buy it for you. Said scroat will then never find it...

Reply to
Dave Osborne