Kellys Post Office Street Guide ???

Years ago there were street guides published that list every property in a street, along with the occupants name. My public library reference section has shelves of them up to 1962 but none after that. The only online thing I can find is Kellysearch which only does businesses. Is there anything 'out there' similar to the original Kellys directory ?

(Background - I'm trying to sort out a series of named addresses (one of which I'm buying) that have been hopelessly confused in the local rating lists and planning application lists, there is: X X Farm X Farm Oast X Farm Barn X Farm Oast & Barn X Farm Bungalow

But there are actually only three properties involved !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try

James Salisbury

You are lucky to have Kelly's up to 1962. Many areas stopped at WW2.

Your library or local studies centre (LSC) should also have old electoral rolls which may (or may not :) be less confused.

has searchable telephone directories up to

1984, but they haven't done all the country yet. It's a pay-per-view site, but your library or LSC may have a sub.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Kellys seems to have stopped totally somewhere around 1975 (at least in our area) as I've found one from that date in my grandfathers belongings while sorting out the house after he passed away recently. He was in local government and they seem to have retrenched into supply directly to them - as the ones from the 60's are generally kellys branded (barely branded in fact) but his later ones look like they were made for the council specifically.

Can't speak about all areas of the country - but he worked in the county architects office so they might have records and stuff that go later? Might be worth a call!

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

The message from "Andrew Mawson" contains these words:

Try the Royal Mails "The Postal Address Book" for the area which will contain a postcode directory. Named properties should be separately identified. There may also be a separate postcode directory but it is at least a decade since I have seen one.

The Royal Mail on-line postcode finder might do the trick.

Reply to
Roger

A local library has a run of the big fat London ones up to a few years ago, and it may still be printing for all I know. But

's_Directory implies they're now just a website, which is a shame historically-speaking.

I hope you didn't dump your grandfather's ones -- they sell for =A330 upwards on eBay to local historians and people researching family histories.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Good god no - they are staying on the shelf he kept them on - just had a lot of "stuff" to sort out. Cheers, Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon