Cleaning Brass Post Office Box Doors

I've bought some old POB doors to make banks for the grandkids.

Having trouble getting the doors clean. Have tried soap and water and brass polish but they are still only about halfway there.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick Melson

Brasso and elbow grease followed by spray lacquer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"If" they are really solid brass, Brasso will be more than happy to clean that door.

other thing to look at, is if the door has a "clear coat" spraryed over the entire surface. If so, that will need to be stripped off prior to polishing.

Rick Mels> I've bought some old POB doors to make banks for the grandkids.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Back when I used to play drums a lot, I used a cymbal cleaning compound that you would wipe on, let it sit and wipe off - really easy to use. You should be able to find it in a good music store (one that sells drums!)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
janahartzell

Reply to
janahartzell

Mother's mag and aluminum polish. Works just as well on brass. Years ago, when I was in army basic training, the brass polish of choice was Brasso as that was what was available in the PX. One of the guys in our barracks brought a can of Mothers with him. He was told, after the first inspection, to either supply it to the rest of us or use Brasso like everyone else. It's that good.

Reply to
CW

-- SNIP- - One of the guys in our barracks

Mother's makes many fantastic products.

I've used their silicone free waxes, rubbing compounds, and plexiglass compounds and cleaners, none has done less than totally impress me!

As they're not cheap, I see them as another one of those price vs. value demonstrations.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I know some folks who do the same with polished airplanes.

Damn, it's gorgeous when the metal is clean!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Fri, Nov 3, 2006, 12:57pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: I know some folks who do the same with polished airplanes. Damn, it's gorgeous when the metal is clean!

How about a pickup? Too much work for my taste.

it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Reply to
J T

Actually, that's very cool.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Tried the Barkeepers Friend and it worked great -- it does take a bit of elbow grease.

Also tried the Mother's mag/aluminum polish -- it did not work quite as well on these heavily soiled doors.

Thanks.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Melson

replying to Lew Hodgett, sgckasse1 wrote: I got this info from someone else and it works! 1/2 Coca Cola 1/2 Amonia. Mix in bowl. But Post office door in for about 20min. Use an old toothbrush and just watch the gunk come off. It AMAZING and simple!

Reply to
sgckasse1

replying to Rick Melson, Daniel wrote: Really fine grade Steel wool then find a polish suitable for brass

Reply to
Daniel

No such thing!

Many moons ago, when I was still in the USAF fire dept, we hadda polish a lot of brass, so I KNOW!

I remember when I was in Basic, our training barracks were so old, we had brass bathroom fittings, which we hadda polish, of course. Our TI (DI) told us to steal the bottles of Tabasco(TM) sauce off the mess hall tables. We used it and it worked as good as can be expected by a buncha dumb kids.

Months later, when I finally got assigned a duty station, I had enough money to buy a can of Brasso(TM). You would think Brasso(TM) would work better than crappy ol' Tabasco sauce. NO, it does not!!

The only thing that gets tarnish off of brass is "elbow grease"! IOW, prepare to have a tired arm. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have wondered about the stuff I polished at Lackland, seemed like it was paper thin. Has it all been polished away and needed to be replace?

Jewelers rouge and a cloth wheel can save your arm though.

Reply to
Markem

Seems I'm not alone!

I once bought a spindle/dbl arbor wheel with two(2) buffing wheels. Sears sold 'em fer $19USD, minus electric motor (70s). I got a 1/2 hrspwr electric motor at a flea mkt fer $10USD.

Now, Stew-Mac....

....wants $300USD+ fer essentially the same thing.

If you know of a cheaper offering, I'd love to learn of it! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Grizzley has one for $100.