Joining motorways

Not as bad as those who commence signalling left before the exit prior to they one they actually intend to leave at, then they wonder why you start to pull out in front of them!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have not indicated left all week. I have had rather a few handsignals made and horns blasted at me.

I finally fitted the new relay today:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Apologies. I thought the sarcasm would be ovbious.

Indicating too soon is common practice now, and I do find it very irritating.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Yes, many HGVs do this and I think that is the best approach. There is one bit of local dual carriage way which I often join on a bend. Many cars already on the road move to the right hand lane.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Ronald Tompkins set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

I'm well ware of the phenomenon. "Keeping pace" I call it, and I hate it. To annoy a pacer, _speed_up_ to give them a space.

Reply to
Curlytop

Some people clearly haven't heard of zip merging.

Reply to
John

Mentalguy2k8

Compresses the vehicles so they can all fit into one lane?

Reply to
polygonum

Personally I find the drivers coming down the slip road nose to tail kind of amusing. You would think the Darwin effect would limit this piece of stupidity, but I often see groups of four or five vehicles join the motorway with a couple of metres between them.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

This has nothing relating to DIY in it. Please no crossposting.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Course it does. The only motorists that don't DIY are those with chauffeurs, like GovMint Ministers and Olympic FatCats.

Reply to
Ian

Ay. And the GuvMint Ministers may be toffs, but they're *our* toffs, unlike the Olympic freeloaders.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Of course if I am approaching an entry slip and I can see lots of cars on it I move over to the middle lane so they can pull onto the motorway.

The other problems is the numpties who don't accelerate on the slip road (to the speed of the cars on the motorway) and pull out doing about 20-30mph less than the traffic!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

While you are in terms of road traffic law completely in the right, I would suggest that "defensive driving" would suggest that if they do that and it is safe for you to do so that you should move to the right or back off slightly to let them in.

It's all very well there being an accident and it being someone else's fault, but I would prefer to accommodate the muppets and not have to deal with the admin or worse of an accident I could have avoided.

I once heard it said: "Don't just drive as if everyone else on the road is an idiot. Drive as if they are actively out to kill you."

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

My wife finds joining the motorway a very fraught experience.

A couple of times, I have ended up on the hard shoulder when the traffic in the nearside lane refuses to leave a gap, but that's the worst that can happen.

Reply to
GB

Is the "Give Way" line at the end of the slip road not sufficiently obvious for you? Have you had your eyesight tested recently?

Reply to
Huge

Please do not take this as a facetious remark - it isn't.

I suggest a lesson or two from a decent driving school would help, no matter how long she has held her licence. The lessons to be specifically aimed at her problem. (motorway driving, specifically the first bit... getting onto them!).

Her current experience with otherwise (I presume ) competently handling the car should put her at her ease for this lesson.....Most women HATE taking "instructions" from their menfolk (and vice versa!!); so an impartial instructor would be of benefit.

Reply to
Ian

What do you suggest I do? I'm doing 70 mph or so in the slip road, attempting to enter the motorway, but there's no gaps, and eventually I run out of slip road. I can't see where eyesight comes into it???

Reply to
GB

Actually, I was talking about my own experiences. I just don't see what you do if the guys in the nearside lane are nose to tail at 70 mph, other than decelerate gently in the hard shoulder. I wish that you experts would come up with a solution.

Reply to
GB

In message , at 15:39:45 on Mon, 20 Feb 2012, GB remarked:

The experts will say that at 70mph in the nearside lane, the vehicles will be further apart than the length of your vehicle.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Reply to
Roland Perry