Ivy on wall

My detached garage has ivy growing up it (my fault). I don't want to get rid of it now as the brickwork is marked and I quite like it - but trimming the top of it to prevent it getting under the roof is a chore I would like to reduce. Any tips on reducing it's growth - or any recommended techniques (I use secateurs)

Reply to
John

Kill it now! The only place ivy belongs is on *other people's* walls. It looks fantastic, but is very destructive. If you leave it, you're creating days and days of future work for yourself.

Don't worry about the bricks being marked, they weather and fade in a few years.

Reply to
Grunff

Theres really no way to do that. You either live with it or remove it.

Ivy does slowly destroy walls with shot mortar, but if the wall is hard blocks with good hard mortar it wont do any harm - just check the wall stays that way.

BTW trimming ivy is very easy, you just cut thru the stems and thats it. No need to remove the cut growth, it'll do all that by itself. Shabby chic is part of ivy's character.

NT

Reply to
meow2222