Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you use a water filter to rid the water of certain impurities like chlorine, etc. it is better to use water from the cold water faucet which has been filtered.

If your bathroom sink does not have a filter, don't use the water to brush your teeth. Bring a glass of water from the kitchen faucet which has the water filter installed.

My bathroom water smells strongly of chlorine and I never use it for anything except washing.

Ora

Reply to
nospam

On Sun, 07 May 2006 19:03:31 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote this:-

None of mine do. I'm still alive.

Reply to
David Hansen

I see. I did not make myself sufficently clear. The water is not put into my mouth, it is used simply to rinse the sink.

Weeell, there is a difference between ingesting water fresh from the tap, and inserting an air dried (over several hours) toothbrush in one's mouth. How much of a difference is open to debate. Dry plastic/nylon surfaces are pretty inhospitable to bacteria, fungi, and viruses - they normally require warmth, food, and moisture. Remove any one of the three, and they are inhibited from growth, and die pretty rapidly, having few resources to fall back on. Some form spores, which can be nasty.

In general, those with poor immune systems, such as the very young, the very old, the pregnant, those undergoing chemotherapy, those taking anti-rejection medication and the AIDS sufferers are most vulnerable. Pretty much everyone else has low risk. As a student, I drank and brushed my teeth in dilute pigeon (unbeknownst to me) for months without any major short term effect.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Yes, I know. Let me get the tube for you:

"Macleans whitening helps restore natural whiteness and keep teeth healthy. Ingredients: Aqua, hydrated silica, sorbitol, pentasodium triphosphate, PEG-6 (?), titanium dioxide, sodium lauryl sulphate (my sp.), aroma, xanthum gum, sodium hydroxide, soduim saccharin, sodium fluoride, limonene."

It only mentions keeping teeth healthy, not gums wuggf umnumnum blblbblb mmfff.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Polyethylene glycol. The 6 tells you how long the chain is.

PEG is used in a number of toothpastes as a dispersant; it binds water and helps keep gum uniform throughout the toothpaste. It is also used in liquid body armor [3] and tattoos to monitor diabetes[4]. Functional groups of PEG give polyurethane elastomers their "rubberiness", for applications such as foams (foam rubber) and fibers (spandex). Its backbone structure is analogous to that of silicone, another elastomer.

Reply to
Guy King

Does it stop your mouth from freezing?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Only down to minus 30C

Reply to
Guy King

Tom Anderson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@urchin.earth.li:

We're all complicit? Yes, I suppose so. But some of us try very hard to minimise risk. Others go 10mph or much more above speed limits, drink alcohol before, use mobile phones during, fail to slow down in poor weather and countless other misdemeanours. IIRC drink and drugs account for something like half the road deaths, or contribute to them or something.

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

Why? Do "germs" in the toilet multiply and gro to the point they can leap out of the bowl and go off on a toothbrush hunt?

Reply to
PeTe33

I do it the opposite way. First clean with toothpaste then brush again with plain water. Because I don't want that buildup of toothpaste in my mouth.

Ora

Reply to
nospam

Apparently when a washdown WC is flushed, lots of water droplets rise into the air, and float about, covering everything in *germs*, yuck, so if you don't want to inhale them, hold your breath before you pull the plug, then run out very fast as soon as you've done so. It's really quite odd that these droplets don't really seem to cause any problem... are the "warnings" paranoia?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No.

When you flush the toilet, aerosolised shit wafts around the room. This is particularly bad if your toothbrush is between the toilet and the extractor fan.

My bathroom has door (air intract) - toothbrushes - basin - bath - toilet - fan (air extract)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My apologies.

Although whether it contains any actual sodium hydroxide, it having been mixed with the (presumably fairly acidic) other ingredients, is a debatable point, albeit one where the debate heads straight into the semantics of ionic compounds ...

And *that*s why it's not called 'fingerpaste'.

tom

Reply to
Tom Anderson

There's a plug on your toilet? Funky, most of us have to make do with a flush.

Greg

Reply to
Gregoire Kretz

I was thinking more along the lines of intrusive safety measures; if we valued human life more than our own convenience, we'd impose blanket 10 mph speed limits in towns, and enforce them, enforce all existing safety-related rules properly, punish all driving offences by disqualification, re-test everyone every five years, etc. To do that, we'd have to pay more tax, put up with agonisingly slow drives, and forego those minor infractions most of us commit. But we don't, so we haven't.

Very true. I salute your adult approach to driving.

Hmm, hadn't heard that statistic. Let me see ... according to:

is involved in one in five road deaths; according to:

A drugs and marijuana are involved in 6% and 12% respectively of deaths, although if we're anything like the US:

of those cases will involve alcohol too.

tom

Reply to
Tom Anderson

The trouble with that is, AFAIK, a tiny sniff of alcohol in the bloodstream, let alone anything approaching "the limit", makes the incident "alcohol related" - including that in the blood of pedestrians & cyclists.

I'm posting from uk.d-i-y - is this thread an imposition elsewhere?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Perhaps a trip to the doctors might be more in order? Either that, or your extractor far is infinitely too powerful! My logs sink to the bottom of the pan and the water, on flushing, sluices it away silently with with minimum surface disturbance.

I wouldn't like to use your bathroom if the shit hits the fan!

Yeuch. so your tooth brushes get the full force of all the Staphylococcus floating around your house?

Reply to
PeTe33

And another thing. That document seems to advocate reducing the limit from 80 milligrammes/100ml of blood to 50mg/100ml, "to be in line with Europe". AFAIK:

France has about five times the proportion of "drink related" incidents than the UK;

France has a lower limit (50) at which a simple fine is levvied, and another limit (80) at which drivers may be banned.

Anyone know whether above are actually true?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's near impossible to get a *zero* alcohol count in the blood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)