Is there a way of telling if there have been power cuts in the night or while out?

Do the power companies keep online logs of power failures of more than a few minutes?
MM
On 01/12/2012 08:16, MM wrote:

Well I always know because the clock on both the cooker and the microwave are off. However that does not say how long it was off for. I guess an mains electric clock would show that by time lost.
--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.

Assuming that it self-restarts :-)
--
Frank Erskine

On 01/12/2012 08:26, Broadback wrote:

Got back a couple of weeks ago from 11 weeks away. Cooker and microwave lights flashing but the freezer contents showed no signs of thawing and re-freezing. A neighbour might know but if only one phase went it might be necessary to ask a few. (A landscape gardener once hit our underground power cable and ISTR one phase was out for quite a while and caused conndusion between neighbours)
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 08:57:42 +0000, Hugh - in either England or Spain wrote:

The UPS logs tell me.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

ah the trials of the tax exile ;>)
Jim K
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 08:57:42 +0000, Hugh - in either England or Spain
Confused conductive concussion?

Our oven restarts the clock at 00:00.
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations

Off? Our come back on and some simple maths indicates how long since the last power up,but not if it wen off more than once.
MBQ
In message

You need a proper one
one that displays the letters "PF"
--
geoff

Why? The fact that the clock has reset tells me there was a power failure.
MBQ
In message

You are less likely to notice an incorrect time unless you are looking
You can't miss the letters "PF"
Of course, on planet B&Q, where people have nothing better to do than argue for the sake of it, things are probably different
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

On planet B&Q, just set your Christmas lights to "steady". If they are flashing when you next look, there has been a power cut ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

They only argue when fuckwits interject telling me I "need" something I ptently don't.
MBQ
On 02/12/2012 14:17, Man at B&Q wrote:

Ours reverts to "power-save" mode and leaves the display and back-lighting off. Power save mode is only cancelled by setting the clock.
SteveW
On 01/12/12 08:16, MM wrote:

The easy way to tell is that your dont reboot on power up server is dead and cold.

--
Ineptocracy

What has annoyed me lately are the power cuts that last for seconds and seem to have very rough power as they fail. These scramble devices with digital circuitry I often find, like set top boxes and radios. I think the best way one can tell if there has been a cut is to have a good old fashioned electric clock run from the mains. If its wrong by an appreciable amount then you know its been off. I have a relay operated set of sockets for the stereo via a timer, and if the mains drops out it will just go off and await my return. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MM" <kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

I've had a few of those the last couple of weeks, plus some others where the lights dimmed and the fridge compressor audibly slowed down but all the PCs etc carried on OK.
What's causing this, is it the old "overhead wires banging together in the gales"?
--
Roland Perry

The national grid it came to pas. It's wires were made of Brass..
In windy weather they'd bang together, and spark's flew out of its arse!..
--
Tony Sayer

Ah, it's easy to confuse sparks with low-flying apostrophes. They tend to lodge everywhere, the little blighters.