Is there a way of telling if there have been power cuts in the night or while out?

Which for here at least produces pretty clean off/on switching. If it's a more than just a small bit of tree that survives the intial contact/blast it'll switch cleaning for two off cycles at about 0.5Hz before locking out. This on/off'ing can certainly confuse some digital stuff.

The only times we have had poor quality power have been when icing brought down the lines in about dozen places locally and the sudden shock loading on some poles snapped 'em. We had roughly half volts until they isolated the supply a few hours later, it was then off for 36hrs until they replaced a pole. Some kit objected to the half volts some didn't.

The other occasion was last month. When they restored the supply after a pole transformer nearer town exploded, they didn't whack an air switch back in hard enough so once it was supposed to be carrying the load it was arcing.

As for monitoring and logs, they quite often already know when I ring up about a power loss but wether that is just from other reports or the recloser automagically reporting in that it has locked out is hard to tell. They didn't on the one above though and I could hear another call in the background "there was a loud bang and smoke started coming from the pole"... I did get verification from the engineers that the reason for our outage was a pole transformer fire. The power just went off in this case though no retry from the recloser so presumably that was an overload trip not phase(s) to earth trip.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not diseased with chalara I hope. Though at this time of year it ain't going to spread I still think such a tree ought to be disposed of quickly to destroy as much of the fungus as possible and not give it a chance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then a ladder and bolt cutters...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My microwave cooker does. Or at least, one of the events per night. Quite a frequent occurrence thanks to Maggie. The morons running the grid obviously get paid peanuts.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Unlikely. This was a mature Ash with the core rotted. Bark and sapwood still supporting sound branches.

Had it fallen as seemed likely, it would have reached the 11kV overheads supplying the village.

Such things are no longer considered accidents/acts of god and might have given my insurers/premiums a nasty moment.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If you are getting one outage per night I'd complain. In fact I'd complain at one per month. Our power is very reliable and that is all overhead from the power station(s) to the side of our house. With some of that overhead on an exposed ridge at 2,000'.

It won't be "the grid" though but your local distributer that has the problem and probably fairly local to you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

A few year back the supply around here was very unreliable (to the extent that I'd started to keep a log of the outages). I eventually found out where the "complaints department" was, and did. I subsequently got a phone call from them, and the lady on the other end of the phone informed me that my service was more reliable than hers was (with the unspoken "so stop complaining"). To be fair it has markedly improved since then.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I managed to get to speak to an actually techie, following 5 cuts in one day, who said "I'll walk the line..."(!). He never called back, but the cuts stopped.

Reply to
Huge

To far gone to be chalara then as that hasn't been in the country long enough to rot out a core.

Yes, they'd have said lack of maintenance and you'd have been landed with the bill from EDF in repairing the line and any claims from the villagers. Good to see some proactive work going on, though a winters supply of ash for the fire has some value, especially if some one else does most of the work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't it a case of bolting stable doors etc.? Okay, it's probably not a good idea to move diseased wood large distances but it's becoming obvious that the infection in this country is already pretty widespread (and probably has been for a year or two).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

f power failures of more than

Off? Our come back on and some simple maths indicates how long since the last power up,but not if it wen off more than once.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Were only finding it's "spreading rapidly" as we've only just started lucking for it. Most of the "thousands" of "trees" being destroyed are newly planted saplings. It's bad, but the media just make it far worse than it really is at the moment.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

All Maggies fault, yeah right. Fuckwit. Labour didn't seem to do much about anything, did they?

MBA

Reply to
Man at B&Q

She gets the blame for everything.

Reply to
ARW

Yeah, and there were never any power cuts under Labour in the 1970s.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hey, tell me about it! I recently rearranged the cabling to my UPS so as to include the ADSL modem and D-Link switch on the protected circuit, because the other day we got a brown-out that lasted, as you say, just for a few seconds and both units were caught.

Even switching them on and off failed to get back my internet connection. The PC of course, being the primary component for the UPS, sat there in blissful ignorance, however I had eventually to power EVERYthing down - PC, modem, switch - before it all worked again.

Course, since I did that we haven't had another power cut!

The actual reason I posted the original message, however, was because I suspected that my PoS known as a Wallstar 15/20 had its control box lock out after a power cut, necessitating going out in the freezing cold to remove the cover and press the reset button. So I wondered, after it happened a second time, whether we'd had another power cut. According to the control box spec sheet, if the mains voltage drops below 140, it locks out.

MM

Reply to
MM

The reason I got a UPS a few years ago. These brown-outs may have been happening for years, but passed unnoticed in the night until we all went out and bought ADSL modems.

Reply to
charles

I think the word is simply "old". The water companies often use their "Victorian" pipework as an excuse for the leaks. Much of Britain's infrastructure is clapped out. The country resembles East Germany in many respects. Plenty of dosh, though, for Trident and for foreign wars.

MM

Reply to
MM

What, a 40 mile round trip! That cat must think it's great fun hiding from the engineer. I love cats, though not illegally.

MM

Reply to
MM

Possibly but it still makes sense. I don't think the full extent is known yet as no body really started looking until the autumn. Our ashes had shutdown for the winter by the time all the fuss started.

I don't think it's been here that long. It has been found in 5 or 6 year old saplings that have been planted out but I'm not sure when those saplings came into the country or when they where planted out from the nurseries.

And most of those in nurseries that have been close to infected imports. Most cases "in the wild" are in young trees planted out fairly recenty. Though there have been cases in older trees.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice