An immaculate, perfectly safe electrical installation...

Perfectly safe, as long as you don't go anywhere near it.

particularly like the tiny warning sign to the bottom right corner of the transformer. I can just make out a skull and crossbones and the word "WARNING".

India, presumably, going by the partly-obscured "TELEPHONE" sign and pre-harmonisation Brit 3-phase wiring colours.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or Pakistan. [Googles]. No, you're right, it's India. The Telephone sign is in Hindi.

Reply to
Huge

joy.... how is their nuclear programme going these days?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Is the photo (hopefully!) giving a false impression of how close that is to the ground? I see some strands of barbed wire(?) which would only be worth having if they stopped people climbing up.

Reply to
GB

I don't think so. Look at the seats on the chairs, the camera height can't be much above them. The bare terminals might be 2m above the ground?

I guess the HT connections are on the other side of the transformer, so maybe 3m above ground level?

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

Maybe it's isolated for work and there is normally some covering. I see there is what looks like a laddered chair at the back.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I agree - as it happens I was in India myself a few weeks ago, and was sufficiently impressed with the incoming electrics at one place we stayed, to record for posterity:

- deliberately large images to facilitate zooming in)

These were taken at ground level, and there was absolutely nothing to prevent anybody getting right up close. Couldn't understand how this lot works when it rains? (And when it rains out there, it RAINS)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Wasn't it Prince Philip who once said, as only he can..

"Looks like an Indian electrician did that"

When observing some dodgy workmanship;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

It is to tangle them up in their death throes so they know who done it.

Reply to
F Murtz

On the bright side, it must be so much easier to work on than if it were stuck at the top of a pylon ;-)

(wonder if one could locate it in google earth?)

Reply to
John Rumm

ISTM there are many other benefits: easy access for jump leads to the tuktuk; infrastructure ready should electric vehicles take off; Darwinian selection;.......

Reply to
Robin

En el artículo , Lobster escribió:

Wouldn't like to be too close when that rotten crossmember gives way in the first pic.

Was that live? The devices fixed to the crossmember in the first pic (the HT side) look like they could be fuseholders, and the fuses are absent.

Looks like the second pic shows the LT side. I like the way someone's tapped off it with a bit of black flex or T&E - on the unfused side!

cheers for those. Added to my collection of wiring horrors :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Lots of interesting pictures in Jeffl!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It could be Solihull...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Look closer ... someone has wound some wire between the fuse holder terminals.

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

eep. So they have!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Bill Wright escribió:

Sure are.

The Beirut Telco ones are hilarious:

Mike Tomlinson

The interesting thing is that the upper assembly (all 6 insulators) looks a bit like it used to be an isolator assembly - the sort you use a long pole to ping open or closed - they would have had some metal gubbings in the middle and probably an insulated linkage across the bottom to operate them as a single unit.

Still - at least the assembly is fused now...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought there ought to be a cover, but I can't see any attachment points.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar