Is lino so bad?

I don't think they do. People like to have expensive floors - stone tiles, wood, etc because when it comes to selling, the kitchen can sinch a deal. Also, many people spend loads of time in the kitchen - not because they have to but because they choose to. So they make it nice as possible on the budget they have.

Personally I just re-lino every 2/3 years or so as its so cheap to do. Cushioned lino is what I choose and it comes in all sorts of designs and patterns - tile effect, wood effect, stone effect. Having a new floor every few years makes a nice change.

Once a wood or tile floor is down it stays down for many years.

~Carl

Reply to
Carl

I wasn't even aware it was still available! I remember lino from my childhood because it seemed to be the de-facto standard in our houses back then.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

In message , Andrew McKay writes

Yep, there was a bit of a fashion a couple of years ago in the glossy 'interiors ' type magazine for floors to have fancy lino floors laid, not just a sheet of lino, but fancy cut and laid patterns

Reply to
chris French

Do you mean real lino or any general vinolay type flooring? The lino I've seen had a sort of sacking woven in it or on the back of it.. Recently I've had new cushioned vinolay flooring put down in my kitchen and it's warm underfoot. I've also added a couple of fairly large mats which makes it really cosy. The one thing against that type of flooring, if you're not careful, is that things can dig into it.

Reply to
May

Some cushionfloor type stuff can feel a bit sticky / plasticy. Any ideas on ways of reducing this with a cleaner / sealant?

Reply to
John

The origin of lino - 'linoleum' - is boiled linseed oil applied to a woven linen backing. It used the flax plant to very good effect.

No idea how authentic modern lino is but I haven't seen it on sale for years either.

Mind you, I haven't looked.

There's some in our 1960s caravan which was used by two parents and two sons for many years and it's hardly scuffed at all. We've restored the 'van and redecorated it completely, only the floor covering is the same. Must be good ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Lots of Lino info here:

Tony Halmarack

because what they think is lino isn't. They're probably thinking of the thin linolyte tiles that 'council' houses used to have. Or the crappy vinyl cushionfloors from cheap carpet outlets.

Proper Marmoleum from Forbo Nairn costs a bloody bomb and is used in the best hotels etc....

Reply to
impvan

But we don't have to obey.

Not everyone.

No.

We'll still be using our 1930s white porcelain wc and cistern and white cast iron bath. If they ain't broke ...

I'm afraid that if the economy depended on folk like the Fishers there wouldn't be an economy. Nor a finance industry. We're simply not doing our patriotic bit.

But nor is anyone who does DIY :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A while back (1 year?) Discovery H&L had a segment from "ThisOld House" with Norm & whatever the other guy is called, and they went to a factory in Scotland that produces something like 25% of the worlds lino... It was cool. I always thought it was made from Oil (i..e out of the ground oil), but it was made from (IIRC) linseed oil & a few other things...

Anyway. The sacking on the back is used to give the lino strength.

I did hate lino, because I also associated it with Vinyl... However I'm starting to warm to it, especially the fancy stuff. This factory in Scotland did some really nice patterns (There's a name for it, but I can't remmember what it's called... The same as some wood veneer stuff... Damn...

Reply to
Hamish Marson