Internet oddity ...

I work from home, and have 2 broadband connections. Domestic (Virgin cable) and work (BT ADSL).

Running a machine with Virgin, I get perfect internet access for browsing. Blazingly fast.

My work laptop (via BT) seems to "stutter" every 5,10 minutes. Click on a link, and it spends ages before timing out. This is on Google Chrome and IE. I have set my DNS servers for both home & work to be Googles (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Moreover, a window with "ping bbc.co.uk -t" never fails, and reports an average of 25ms. So I have this annoying situation where clicking on a BBC link causes a long wait, followed by "Could not display page" despite the ping registering flawlessly.

For now I'm putting up with it, since I haven't got the time to deal with BT support, just wondered if anyone here could point me towards further diagnostics. Rebooting the router doesn't help.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Could be so many things. check to see if router is showing high packet errors and so on.

It could be that BT's internet service itself is suffering from packet loss as well.

It could be that you are getting a BS lookup that's pointing to an overloaded server at the beeb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should have added it's not just the BBC website - it's any website. I'm just using the BBC as a reference. Pings to other websites (e.g theregister.co.uk) also return without fail, while the browser fails to load.

Also the machine I use for my domestic connection is Linux, whereas my work laptop is XP. Just checked router logs, and there are no errors logged.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Temporarily swap the machines over, then the routers.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Have you tried both machines on BT? That should show whether it's the connection itself, or your laptop.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

It can also be due to an OS / browser / driver / app issue. I've even seen similar once due to a hdd issue. If you can take the laptop from A to B that could narrow down where the problem lies.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would be kind of trying the good machine on the assumed duff connection just to make sure it really is the connection, first.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't think its possible to swap the routers in this case from what I know of the two systems. He does not say if they are wired or wireless but if the wireless, then I've had no end of this sort of rubbish from congested bands for this.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Both wired.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Connect the PC to the BT modem and test. If it's still bad then BT is at fault, if it works then your laptop is iffy.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

MTU too high ? If it's set to 1500 try going to 1492.

Vic

if you have the two routers connected to the same network, make sure that only one is DHCP server

'Jethro_uk[_2_ Wrote:

Reply to
asalcedo

so that the other one and its link never gets used, and can safely be switched off and thrown away :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher