Interesting blog on fracking

Actually John Maynard Keynes is an economist whose works is still widely studied, so could be expected to have some idea of the financial implications, and the others are not nobodies, in the sense that, unlike the people you suggested, their names are still recognisable today.

I am merely saying that they are more reliable than overhead cables.

Reply to
Java Jive

But putting their names to a protest, is rather like the film star who recently demonstrated publicly against the proposed Heathrow Runway 3. The next day she was in Holywood. (Did she go by train?)

Reply to
charles

And from France.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought, so, but wasn't sure.

Reply to
charles

Well, not really - different sort of protest, different sort of 'names'.

I agree that's a bit rich - that's an understatement, it's totally hypocritical in fact. But that WAS one of the many things that made me want to leave that area. When I first moved in 1997, we hardly every got flights nearby, then something changed, and by the time I left they were going over all the time, at some height, yet we still had small planes doing loop-the-loops etc lower down, and the motorway.

It's so peaceful up here by comparison. We do get the RAF, but they're soon gone! Quite a lot of bikers on the main roads as well, but I'm just about far enough away and have double glazing. I know there are technical limitations to bikes, but I still think they make a disproportionate amount of noise - if cars made the same noise proportionate to engine size, we'd all be wearing ear-defenders all the time. Curiously, most of the bikers seem to be really quite old, I can't remember when I last saw a youngish looking one - a dying breed if you ask me.

Reply to
Java Jive

Personally I'm fed up with nonentities "protesting" about something they know nothing about, but making a splash because the media fawns on them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That is neither here nor there. What are their engineering and financial qualifications and experience? Certainly none in the case of the latter two, and JMK is an *economist*, which doesn't necessarily mean he can do sums.

From the PoV of what's being discussed, they are merely the celebrity nonentities of their day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

the Vulcan at "hedgehopping height" near Acharacle was quite impressive. It had to bank to avoid the Decca mast! (1977)

Reply to
charles

We seemed to have mostly French workers in Surrey and just the other side of the border in Hants. Did a roaring trade for local boarding houses, apparently.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

Wouldn't be someone taking a liberty to fit what's not a very pretty part of Scotland to one that is prettier by any chance;-?..

You mean this one here, persons suffering from Plyonitis are advised NOT to clink on this link;!..

That line was there before the houses and takes power from a renewable Hydro station a bit further north but if you follow that line to the South it does disappear in forested areas to a greater extent..

Yes, err .. very simply done of course;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Indeed a a few 132 kV ones were damaged but Ice on conductor wires is a very destructive force and can present abnormal loads like the icing on the Holme Moss TV station here, and as you can see the sag is very pronounced. However this just happened this one since the station was built IIRC in 1952 so just a natural but very rare thing really and if you were to engineer everything like that for such occasions?.....

tony sayer

Indeed another case of the housing being built after the line was installed. This one is really useful as matey here can chain his caravan up to the structure in his front garden to stop it being half inched;!...

tony sayer

Carefully avoiding the old joke - if all the economists in the world were laid end-to-end they would reach ... no conclusion - oops, there, I've said it after all - I think we can safely conclude that an economist can to sums.

It is perhaps more arguably true of the other two, though I wonder if the nonentities of today will still be as well known 50 or 60 years on as they, but it's not true of JMK.

Reply to
Java Jive

Have you seen what happens when a buried cable explodes? I would hate to be near one but you wouldn't know until it was too late.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , Java Jive escribió:

you clearly understand little.

Overhead lines are air-cooled. Underground transmission lines have to be air or gas cooled. You really think that would involve less maintenance than air-cooled?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Java Jive escribió:

And we're stuck wit that legacy, for example a track gauge that is difficult to run high speed trains over, short platforms, and low bridges that preclude the use of double-decker trains.

Other countries had the benefit of building modern railways from scratch without having to allow for a creaking Victorian infrastructure.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Java Jive escribió:

Here's an example of your wonderfully reliable underground cables:

BTW, I've plonked you 'cos you're a top-posting f****it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , charles scribeth thus

My first wife had a friend like that a fist class environMENTAL "ist" she was Preachin against modern things like nuclear, cars, etc right left and centre, well far and away more Left but as much as she hated the modern day motor car she was always borrowing the wife's.

One day we had a policeman at the door enquiring as to did she own such and such a vehicle?. Mental "ist" had walloped a couple of cars in the middle of town called the owners "fascist capitalist barstards" and drove off leaving wifeys insurers to pick up the bill..

Then the bitch had the bloody cheek to come round and ask if she could use it again as it had a tow bar and she could use it to pull some caravan to a demo at one of the airbases.

At that point I intervened and used some very straightforward language to inform her never to set foot on out doorstep ever again and thus far shes not been seen!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Java Jive scribeth thus

..

Well I think that we're simply going to have to agree that I see things rather differently to yourself, and as this ng's title infers I really must get on with some DIY projects!..

Cheers...

Reply to
tony sayer

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

sorry, /oil/ or gas cooled.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson