Shed project - gambrel roof

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change in contour.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Broken link tiny url is your friend:

Like any other boarded out roof? Laths on top of the boards. Tiles on laths as normal.

Same site enter gambrel into the search box 2nd page has quite a number of images of plans. Haven't worked out how you get decent sized versions tho'

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 18:37 Andrew Mawson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Sir, I think you are right:

Tim Watts

Sir, I claim your wife and daughters (subject to inspection :) )

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Tim Watts writes

Umm.. I don't think they got the first row weatherproof.

For slate, I would put a row of half slates up first. This weatherproofs the gaps between the first full row and lifts the eaves edge to match the rest of the roof.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They are usually called a Mansard roof in the UK. Some detailshere.

Very common back in the fifties for cheap domestic houses.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, but if you actually read the article in the link, only if all four sides of the roof have a double slope. The shed in Tim's photo looks like it has flat gable ends, so gambrel is accurate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 07:16 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No - a mansard roof is a fully hipped gambrel.

A gambrel is a gable ended structure.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 18:37 Andrew Mawson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

This does seem to be the north american way.

However, asphalt shingles aka bitumen felt tile shingles (the nearest I can find here, probably basically the same thing[1]) seem more of a faff to install with endless amounts of sealant and unconvincing fitting than fibre cement tiles would be.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to run a flashing strip along the gradient change and tile as normal.

I would like the roof to look "nice" - otherwise I'd use torch on felt :)

[1] Proper asphalt shingles are paper soaked in bitumen and dusted with ceramic/sand. Our version may be paper based, or newer products seem to be based on glass fibre with bitumen. Ours tend to be sold as strips - not sure about american ones.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, US ones are strips.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A bit like mosaic tiles, only on a larger scale - big sheets that look like half-a-dozen roofing tiles.

Reply to
Huge

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 14:13 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks :)

Do they still use them - and why? Lack of clay to make clay tiles? They seem as weak as felt but as labour intensive as tiles to install (well almost).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, and cost. They're very cheap, and the roof structure is cheaper, too. A lot of American houses I've seen built (at least in Pennsylvania; my parents live there. I've been going on and off for over 30 years) are effectively sheds - wood frames, power nailed together covered in siding with asphalt shingle roofs. They're not designed to last.

Reply to
Huge

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 14:54 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Very interesting - thanks.

I suppose in the pioneer times, labour was cheap but materials were expensive if not local - except for lumber which is everywhere.

I really like the gambrel roof (Amityville connotations notwithstanding) - especially on small wooden buildings.

Now I've looked into it I noticed a couple of gambrels in Battle in East Sussex - with clay tiles. Cannot get close enough to see how they did the pitch change joint.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My flat in Bristol had a sort gambrel roof. The top section was nearly horizontal though and zinc covered, the sides almost vertical and tiled. The join had lead flashing dressed under the zinc which was dressed over the end of the boards. The lead was then dressed over the top edge of the tiles.

Could you not work out how to get decent sized images of the plans from the site you orginally posted a link to either?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 18:37 Andrew Mawson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Rather interesting - and available. Synthetic polymer "slates" - and formable with a hot air gun.

Twice the price of concrete tiles, but then I do not need a huge number nor do I want to build a shed structure than can cope with 1/2 ton of tiles on the roof!

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

I wonder if that *form on site* zinc sheet would adapt.

/\________/ obviously won't fold readily by hand but they might have devised a technique. You could ask:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof- f1yvoejt.jpg Th e question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the inte rface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section? Flash ing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of lead on a ny picture I have seen. I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightn ess. -- Tim Watts Personal Blog:

http://www .sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal coverage Reading thi s on the web? See:

It?s just a simple mansard roof, in other words two separate roof slopes with a lead apron top of the lower roof and under the bottom of the higher roof. Nothing spectacular, quite simple to do.

Reply to
Kipper at sea