Inserting shelf sockets - what tool?

I have a lot of shelf sockets to put into some wardrobes that I'm building.

now, I've used these before, but on paint-grade cupboards, and this time my first action will be to create a jig to enable me to drill perpendicular holes at consistent intervals.

However, when it comes to inserting the sockets I've had variable results just hammering them in. I seem to remember reading that they should be knocked home with a "special tool" - kind of a stepped punch, I assume. However, I can't find such a beastie in the Axminster catalogue.

Does anyone know what this tool is called, and where to get one?

Also, there are a number of inserts to hold the shelves up - looped "eyes", spade shaped pins, flat pins, and flat pins that have an offset support. Which are the best to use?

Any other alternatives appreciated, but I don't want to route a dado and install one of the shelf strips, and it's decent built-in furniture that I'm making, so I need something of appropriate looks and quality.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS