Inserting shelf sockets - what tool?

I have a lot of shelf sockets to put into some wardrobes that I'm building.
now, I've used these before, but on paint-grade cupboards, and this time my first action will be to create a jig to enable me to drill perpendicular holes at consistent intervals.
However, when it comes to inserting the sockets I've had variable results just hammering them in. I seem to remember reading that they should be knocked home with a "special tool" - kind of a stepped punch, I assume. However, I can't find such a beastie in the Axminster catalogue.
Does anyone know what this tool is called, and where to get one?
Also, there are a number of inserts to hold the shelves up - looped "eyes", spade shaped pins, flat pins, and flat pins that have an offset support. Which are the best to use?
Any other alternatives appreciated, but I don't want to route a dado and install one of the shelf strips, and it's decent built-in furniture that I'm making, so I need something of appropriate looks and quality.
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
email me at richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file
Upload is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.