So what did they use before asbestos for loose fill insulation

A thought that crossed my mind. After looking up what was used in Rayburn cookers and all I can find is a reference to a letter that asbestos was never used for loose fill.

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

Confusing isn't it - asbestos insulation is produced from mineral found in rock - so I guess that this would class as rock mineral.

I was assured that asbestos had never been used for loose fill by the Rayburn people - back then Rayburn was still the company, not just an Aga brand name.

AFAIK they used rockwool style stuff - when I rebuilt my old Rayburn in the late 70s I managed to get some Rocksil.

See

has been going since 1946 in various guises.

Don't know when Rayburns were first built, but I presume rock fibre insulation is an old product.

Aha -

states "The Rayburn was first developed as a cooker and water heater in the 1940s "

states "Health and safety research on rock and slag wool has been ongoing for nearly 70 years. " This implies that the product was around in the 1930s in significant enough quantities to justify H&S research.

So logically rock mineral fibre can have been used as insulation since the first Rayburn was built.

Now off to do some real work :-)

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Vermiculite

Reply to
Peter Parry

Caustic soda?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Neiher of those was, but other minerals were. Can't remember what they were tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mornington Crescent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's on again, I'm sorry I haven't a clue started the latest series today. An earlier series is on Channel 7 -whatever that is.

Why is it £80 to watch free to view?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Vermiculite - how many times must I tell you :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Vermiculite ?

How do you spell that?

Reply to
PJO

Seems like rockwool and fibreglass have been around a long time.

Rayburn (aga-rayburn) state that they have only ever used rockwool and fibreglass. I asked them about a 1960s rayburn Nr1.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

Which, the hydrated phlogopite or the hydrated biotite one?

Reply to
Peter Parry

isn't that phlogophite?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that the real question here is whether the Makita hair-splitting tool is better than the PPPro one (with 3 year guarantee) or the Ferm equivalent.

Corded or battery.

Of course, eye protection and a mask shoudl always be worn...

;-)

Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS