Whats the best height for a celing fan in a conservatory?

My conservatory is in the final stages of completion, and I have just bought the ceiling fan which I will fit once its finished.

As standard, it comes with a 6" down-rod.. The mounting point for this is approx 2.7m from the floor which means the blades will be 2.4m up and the bottom of the light 2.3m.

This seemed to be fine, but when I checked with a tape measure, 2.4m seems quite high.

I can get a 12" down-rod, which will bring the fan down slightly so that the blades at 2.25m and the light at 2.15m..

Which of these options would be the most practical?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Weaver

We've got ceiling fans in the bedrooms and the blade height is 2.3m

I'd consider that to be an absolute minimum - I'm always catching tall things on the blades (fortunately, when they're off) as it is. However, I am building wardrobes at the moment, and that's only a transient activity.

The instructions normally come with recomended minimum heights - I'd be surprised if they go down as low as 2.25m.

You won't really gain anything on performance by lowering it, and the only thing you will really do is to make it more likely that someone reaching upwards (stretching, etc) will catch their hand on a fan (and the blade will give you quite a clout).

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

The instructions do say that 2.3m is the absolute minimum, but I was thinking that 2.25 wasn't much lower.

However, it turns out that the ceiling might actually be higher than

2.7m.. I guess that I should aim to have the blades at around 2.4-2.5m and get the most suitable drop rod once I know the exact height.

Apparantly performance may be a consideration, especially in a conservatory with a pointed ceiling.. If its too heigh, the blades could effectivly fill the entire ceiling space, which means that is little way for the air to get back above the fan. It needs to be low enough to give enough space around the blades, but not too low as to cause injury.

I guess that all I wanted to find out for now, was the height I should be aiming for. Clearly 2.3 is the absolute lowest, and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted it in a high ceiling (i.e a conservatory) to know how high it was!

Reply to
Jon Weaver

definately above head height ;->

Reply to
Baxter Basics

I have two 52" fans (made by Fantasia) which are mounted approximately half way up the hip rafters of the conservatory. This puts the blades at 2.25m which I find fine. That is just a cm or two above my finger tip height if I reach up without standing on my toes. They have been there for two years and used regularly. Nobody has come into contact with the blades and the fans are very effective.

I did need to buy spare rods which I then shortened slightly.

There is certainly plenty of space for air to circulate above and the fans are also reversible, so I use them differently summer to winter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall