WHAT SDS?

For the purposes of jobs like removing wall tiles and concrete fence posts, is an SDS drill with chisel action the tools for the job? Has anyone got any recommendations for make and model?

Reply to
Steve Barnes

DeWalt DW566 - great machine, light, powerful, good price at £120.

Reply to
Grunff

DW566 has been a popular tool in these parts for some time now - however, any idea how it compares to the Makita HR2450?

The Mak retails for about £125, has rotation stop, but is 780W (DW: 650W) & capable of 2.7J (DW: 0 - 2.4J). Slightly heavier though at 2.4Kg (DW:

2.3Kg)

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

You should have seen the smile on my other half's face when she started taking tiles off with my cheap as chips NuTool. She had spent 5 minutes removing 2 tiles as tiny slivers with cold chisel and hammer. With the SDS chisel, the tiles came of whole, taking all of 2 seconds each. I have never tried chopping concrete fence posts with them, though. Would have thought a large angle grinder would be more suited.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Small world! My wife was doing exactly the same with our new cheap as chips (well, 47 portions) NuTool yesterday with probably a similar grin.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

Trickey thing there can be most fence posts have steel reinforcement - not sure what your stone cutting disk will make of them.

You could opt for the clomp the base of the post with a sledge hammer so that the concrete falls off approach, and then use the angle grinder with a metal cutting disk for the reinforcing wires.

Reply to
John Rumm
£40 Argos special- taken out large concrete doorstep, nasty 50's concrete fireplace, chased electrics thru brick and plaster, took down a brick wall and drilled for 22mm copper pipe.

nothing's fallen off it yet.

Question to everyone tho- should SDS rotostop actually lock the bit in place or just not spin it round?

ta BAX

Reply to
Baxter Basics

Some do some don't.

Reply to
IMM

Where? More info.

Reply to
IMM

My Bosch =A3100 Argos locks the bit at any particular rotation, there is= a posistion before powered rotation starts that allows you to turn the bit manually to the desired orientation.

I would have through trying to chisel stuff without the bit locked would be a somewhat uncontrolled affair.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My Stayer SDS has positions for both locked and unlocked.

Reply to
usenet