in praise of electromagnetism....

I'll try Grays of George St next time I'm passing ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Following up to Jim Michaels

I'll see is Nisbits have any.

Reply to
The Reid

They didn't have the item I wanted when I visited them last year!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Following up to pen

I think overall the reason I wont be buying a cooker with an induction hob is that like hi fi and other electronic things, they break after a few years and usually cant be repaired. Our new gas cooker is very simple and hopefully, not having the (electronic) features that killed the old one after 25 years, will last at least 25 years. A friends induction hob failed terminally after six months, ditto a recent freeview box, Pcs? Five years, maybe more. I reckon 10 years is about the limit for electronics although some speakers I assembled myself are OK 20 years on.

Reply to
The Reid

What about when you are wanting to stir-fry in a large wok that only has a (relatively) small flat base for making contact with the induction surface? Will the sides of the wok get hot?

Styx

Reply to
Styx

For this reason, we have 4 "burner" inductions hob (Plus a plate warmer in the middle), and a single gas Wok hob :-) They are joined together with a metal strip, so it all looks like one unit.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Ahh, well that makes sense. We do a lot of stir-frying in the wok, so I'd hate to lose that facility if we went and got an induction hob. I have also wondered whether the halogen hobs are any better for wok-based cooking as they seem to be about as controllable as gas but *way* easier to clean.

Styx

Reply to
Styx

Hmm, I have a 'bulk erasert thingy that feels like a large coil and is fed from the mains and that does a nice job of erasing magnetic media? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Never had a complaint.

If I ever have the experience of a guest in my home who is unfamiliar with electric light I suspect there would be quite a long demonstration/discussion about them.

The discussion regarding how they came to my home with this naivety would certainly be a much stranger conversation and might warrant a "National Geographic" film crew and some anthropologists.

41 42 N 87 45 W

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

snip

.

Well! that's a hell of a long way from the United Kingdom! {Why are you posting to uk.d-i-y?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock