Netto Compressor - (A Problem With)

I bought a compressor from Netto in December 2005.

It has a problem where if it has been standing for a while, (a day or so) when it is turned on, and wants to compress, the motor turns really slowly, maybe one compression cycle per second.

If I turn it off and on a few times (maybe 10 off/on cycles), it speeds up, then will work as it should, cutting in and out as required, normally.

If I just leave it slowly chugging it will gradually speed up a bit, then fly up to normal speed (Takes about 20-30 seconds, and again, it is fine thereafter.

I tried emptying the receiver (to 0 Bar) and it still did the same, so it is not a problem of it fighting the pressure already there.

I am sure this is not good for the motor when this is happening!

The compressor has had very very little use, a few car tyres, a bit of air dusting of a few PC's.

Now, I can just take it back and get a refund, however, I want a compressor!

I paid £69.99 for it, so can someone suggest what might be wrong with it, or where I can get a similar priced and specified one from? (Better spec for a little more £ is OK, as it did have trouble keeping up with all the chiselling!)

It's specifications are... Power G Plus

50L 8 Bar 2 HP 2850 RPM

Thanks :-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Any petrol compressor under 150GBP is not worth a blow on a ragmans trumpet. What you have there is a hobbyist compressor only fit for paint spraying and not suitable for air type tools.

You're best bet is ebay for a seconhand pro compessor,or machine mart for new.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sorry, I forgot to say, it's electric!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Petrol compressor, The3rd? 'E didn't say it compresses petrol, or has a petrol engine, did he? For 70 quid?

I've a "hobbyist" compressor, and it's far better suited to air tools than paint spraying.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry my fault,should have realised 'not good for the motor'. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Was thinking it might be the same on as the Aldi model,that was petrol.

Whatever old man. keep your hair on. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Motor is 'uggered. It's either the centrifugal start switch or the start capacitor, depnding on design. The switch may be fixable by cleaning, the capacitor is replaceable (take the corpse along as a sample).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How come it works fine after it's initial start?

I could get it going, and let it fill the receiver, then leave it off for an hour, and it will still be fine!

I just tried it now, it has been unplugged and left outside in the cold for over 8 hours, and it started immediately! I did however, use it a lot today, the most it has ever been used, about 2 hours of running with not much off time (chiselling some artex and plaster from a wall!) Maybe this has broken it in now!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Have you regularly serviced it as per your manual - oil checks and condensation draining etc?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

It could be just a sticky Poppet valve, is this a cheep direct drive type compressor.

-
Reply to
Mark

It is under four months old, and has done about 2.5 hours work total.

I have drained the condensation, but the was very little in there!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The broken bit is only used in the high-torque low-speed circuit to get it turning. Once it's spinning then it'll run fine.

What happens if you "kick start" it ?

That was my first thought (the unloader valve) but the OP says it also has starting probelms into an empty reservoir.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If anyone is in the least bit interested, after the thrashing I gave it, it now seems to be working fine - I guess it needed breaking in!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks