in praise of electromagnetism....

Good to hear personal recommendations like this, thanks. But you did have to mention Nigella and endowments... you should know what this lot are like....

Reply to
Suz

Just don't get your wristwatch near it..

sponix

Reply to
sponix

afaik, exactly that. the currents induced in the metal pan cause it to heat up.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

That is very true. Huge numbers of perfectly good kitchens are discarded each year, simply because they are not the latest "style".

A decent kitchen, if looked after, should last 25 years I would have thought. Some people chuck them out after 4 or 5.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Following up to sponix

my basic MFI one, is just over 25 years old and now worn out and to be replaced for the one and only time. The average life of fitted kitchens is remarkably short.

Reply to
The Reid

The message from sponix contains these words:

I collected a very nice kitchen from a skip once. The owners were throwing it out because they thought it looked old fashioned and would hinder the sale of their house. It went very nicely in a friend's flat and the rest ended up as workshop cupboards.

A few months later I got another kitchen from the same house - the new owners didn't like the kitchen and were replacing it. It would be satisfying to say they were replacing it with something very similar to the original, but sadly it wasn't. Anyway - that one ended up in a youth centre's coffee bar.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from The Reid contains these words:

18mm carcasses last a lot longer than 15mm types.
Reply to
Guy King

Some! As it happens, I don't find her at all attractive:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

Aye they are a mucky lot:))

Reply to
Ophelia

Where there's muck, there's ass! (Usian usage) :-) Graham

Reply to
graham

In the region of =A3100 I think - and you'd be hard pressed to install a new kitchen for less than =A35,000. This one replaced a 15 year-old builder installed one which was, quite frankly, collapsing - both cabinets and appliances.

I use a Tefal "Imagination" saute pan, costs around =A350 from Lakeland. It's my favourite pan of all time and I use it almost every day, for anything from stir fries to chillis. Coated with 4 layers of non-stick inside and out, and very heavy based so no hot spots to catch sauces on. Plus I can use an absolute minimum of oil - 1 tsp of oil is enough to fry a big onion. Goes in the dishwasher when I'm feeling lazy, but actually It cleans with minimum effort and I've never ever managed to burn anything in it. I had the pan before the hob, but the two work together brilliantly. I think there is actually a stir fry pan within the same range but I've never felt the need for it.

No gas here, so would have to be bottled - induction is much cleaner and easier.

Pen

Reply to
pen

I have tried many experiments to heat things other than pans on my induction cooktop with no success.

Small items alone (such as spoons or watches) will not trigger the unit to produce power.

Placing small items next to pan (even with pan offset) produces no discernable warmth in the small item.

I also placed video and audio tapes directly next to pans and cooked for extended periods to confirm that tapes left nearby would not be erased.

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

Witchcraft. It's clearly not natural.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Are you saying that witchcraft isn't natural?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You do like to live dangerously don't you? :)

Reply to
Ophelia

It's certainly a cheaper way to advertise than on the telly. Then again when it's on the telly, nobody's there to contradict it. Yet another "no knockers" situation.:-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Trying to convert them into saucey ones?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Are you saying it *is*?

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Yes. Is animal behaviour natural? So, is human behaviour natural?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Sorry, are you implying that I'm not giving independent advice?

I would not abuse a newsgroup like that. I was asked a question, and I answered it. As the pans aren't sold "everywhere", I also included information about price, and where I'd bought one. Is there some arcane law of netiquette that I have broken?

Tefal is a French company. I feel the same way about the French as any normal English person has for the past 1000 years. So the pans have to be bloody good to get past my natural state of extreme prejudice.

OTOH their cheapo ranges are rubbish....

Pen

Reply to
pen