Ikea vs B&Q for DIY furniture

The only problem that I had was due to the poor quality/printing of the instructions. Although assembly of the major components seemed obvious I decided to FTFM. Had to keep looking a couple of pages forward to find out what not to use. There were several parts of the same length and similar aspect ratio - although of differing cross section - but the sketches were too poor to be certain which was which without eliminating some.

I once assembled a "tall larder unit" (not from Ikea). Looked at the leaflet, discarded it after checking that all components were present, built the thing with no problem, then had to fit a not-too-obvious tie-bar across it so that the shelves would stay in place!

Reply to
PeterC

Costco sell sofas?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Well, not quite what I meant - but ISWYM...

They do occasionally sell furniture tho'...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

From time to time they do.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Just in case your thought I was nit-picking, I am in fact an interested person

off to buy a new sofa from Ikea in the next few weeks

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yes, but they are huge dark brown leather monstrosities that I wouldn't give house room to. At least that's in the warehouses, the website might have a larger range, I haven't looked.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Steve Firth

I think the point about the difference between B&Q and Ikea is that Ikea design (and manufacture?) their own stuff, whereas B&Q are just buying in products from as many cheap manufacturers as they can find.

Ikea ends up with a consistent design / assembly ethos with consistent parts and fixing components. B&Q ends up with soft screws, cheap components and poor quality control.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

After the first visit and a catalogue to hand the best way to approach Ikea for flat pack purchases is through the exit at opening time.

You can be in and out of a store within 10 minutes with the right planning.

Reply to
The Other Mike

No, they are expected to follow the normal route throught the store. 30 minutes later, if they are lucky they reach what is left of the checkout.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I am sure the Swedish woman is dying to be in your bed! or maybe running to B&Q

Reply to
Kip