I'm unimpressed by this

I've seen that with copper, where the ice pushes the fitting off the end of the pipe.

Reply to
GB

If there's a non-return valve in that line, even if it's inside the garage as I assume the rising main against the white wall is, the internals of the NRV will get knackered.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's what happened to the check valve in my outside tap when I turned off the supply but forgot to open the tap. Now it is a non-flow valve as well as a non-return valve. Must fix it sometime!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Oh, that's inside then - makes better sense. Still not sure how it gets to the house stopcock, but presumably inside, if only a thin garage wall.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It was done a month ago.

Nor can I. Originally there was a tap in the garage. Don't be misled by the paint on the floor and wall. The house was flooded to a depth of three feet in November and everything has been re-done since.

The black plastic

It's a stop valve turned off, at bottom left.

Apparently he made a new hole.

or has recently been enlarged, to

No.

Prehaps one that had frozen up,

No.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It is.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Free water for the garden then... (or the house with a little bit of replumbing). ;-)

(Unless the meter is before the stopcock and garage supply).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Jethro_uk explained :

The difference it makes, is that does not appear to have been done by a professional tradesman, or even a slightly talented amateur. Anyone can call themselves and electrician, a builder, a gas fitter or a plumber on those types of web sights - no body checks, all the site owners care about is contributions from the trader, for providing the initial contact.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

And in photo 4 the 90 push fit bend the connects to the pipe going through the oversized hole is completely wrong. That O ring will leak because of the way it is being forced out of line by the plastic piple exiting the wall.

Reply to
Andrew

I been wondering what happened to D I M M for ages ?, maybe he has taken up 'plumbing' ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah so we could well be looking at something T'd off the supply pipe between street stopcock and the house stopcock. Wonder where the meter is...

fitting or

"Stop valve" as in screwdiver operated 1/4 turn isolation valve? ie "a complicated stop end" B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depending on the water pressure I would expect the joint to fail without needing a frost.

Reply to
ARW

Yes

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That's possibly the longest post I have ever seen agreeing with me.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

and what alternative route is there that guarantees you get this professional tradesman who is qualified?

because IME that doesn't exist

Reply to
tim...

Roger Hayter submitted this idea :

It is a long way from being satisfactory no matter what country. It is the sort of job I would do in a complete rush, with other more important matters to get on with and an intention to go back later and make a proper job of it. At best, a very poor temporary arrangement.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

More chance if not a guarantee of shoddy workmanship?

Reply to
Jimk

Wait for it.......

Reply to
Jimk

Possibly, eventually, unless the "pro" used pipe inserts...

Reply to
Jimk

If you say so

Reply to