Humax EPG

Well, turning off the mains supply to the TV, PVR, BT hub etc, unplugging the Ethernet connection between the PVR and the hub, then turning the mains back on after 30 seconds, reestablishes the EPG instantly, for the whole week ahead. Maybe I should have left it all off for longer, but ICBA!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If there has been a software crash of some kind just putting a box into standby or deep standby doesn't necessarily cleanly reboot the software. Totatlly removing the power and leaving the box this way for a minute or two allows all internal power supplies to discharge. On switching the power back on the box must go through a cold beet process.

This doesn't necessarily get over a problem if data on a hard disk or memory stick is corrupted and that memory device is read again on boot up.

Reply to
alan_m

Set the timer, checked that the box turned on (5 minutes early) & off at the specified times but The EPG still showed chunks of 'No Programme Information' at 7pm. Channel 5 was bad but channel 4 was worse. So far I haven't found a method to get the EPG to populate but thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
wasbit

Because humans are human, it is always possible that the data poured into the broadcast system, is not something the box is able to parse and process at the moment.

If the machine has a log visible on the EPG page, maybe evidence of the problem is there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Update. Have had the box powered on for 35 minutes at 2pm for the last couple of days. Seems to have helped with populating BBC 1 & 2 but ITV still has blanks, channels 4 & 5 are particularly bad as are some of the higher number channels. These can take up to 2 hours before they populate. Sod's law that it always seems to be the channels that I want to record.

Reply to
wasbit

I expect this has been mentioned back up the thread, but do you turn off the Humax completely when you've stopped watching whatever it was, or just put it into standby? I only put mine into standby, except on rare occasions.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Standby, but I have removed the power overnight on a couple of occasions which made no difference.

Reply to
wasbit

EPG Further Update 2024.01.25

Humax HDR-1800T - Set top recorder Blaupunkt 32/138M - TV Blaupunkt 32-1480 - TV

EPGs all populated fully when started from standby up.

The Humax HDR-1800T had been switched off at the wall for 6 months yet the EPG populated fully within the minute or so that it took me to get to the EPG screen.

11am - Humax FVP-5000T EPG populated to past midnight except for channels 28,50,52,56,61,66,83,92 & & 101-109. Returning to BBC1 & BBC2 they were blank.

1.55pm - Humax FVP-5000T powered up for it's timed 35 minutes after which the EPG populated fully. Returning to the EPG 15 minutes later lots of unpopulated slots.

So it would seem that the problem is that the FVP-5000T can update but not retain the EPG.

Reply to
wasbit

Thanks for warning. I'll stick with my HD-FOX-T2 until it fails then avoid 'upgrading' to an FVP-5000.

Not sure about the Aura either though.

Reply to
Andrew

FYI

EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.

-

Don't know whether that's opinion or fact but it would seem to be the logical answer.

Reply to
wasbit

Odd factoid. I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no pictures!

My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.

But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever guides are in RAM,. obviously.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Freeview, Freesat and Sky (Free to Air) are all 7 day EPG, over the air.

Reply to
alan_m

The OTA EPG is 7 days

They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*

Reply to
Andy Burns

ah. Do they indeed. That's odd, because if I power the machine down they seem to vanish...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's more than one kind of EPG.

There's some version that tells you enough to know "what is on next". In other words, a very short event horizon.

As for the other flavor, I've no details how yours works.

TV in the analog days, carried all sorts of information during retrace or the like. It carried enough information, that one company actually used it for Internet content (signal broadcast to the consumers of the content, and if your network address matched at the moment, you would eat the content, and your dialup modem would send an ACK so the other end would know the downloaded item arrived).

But with digital, there's no need for retrace, front porch or back porch, and so the content then, has to be defined for each purpose. You could have a high resolution video signal and no auxiliary information, or you could have a mixture of video and something else.

One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass, it would fill in the gaps.

What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others, and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing stuff away.

I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log", to gather evidence of what it is doing.

One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled the EPG is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

With many boxes the EPG is held and updated in RAM and only transferred to disk on a proper shut down. The box has to know that its going to loose power or the software shut down in order to store the EPG to disk or usb stick.

This can also create a problem if any time the data becomes corrupted. The corrupted data is read from disk at power up to RAM and if there isn't a mechanism to correct the data the corrupted form gets saved back to disk on shut down. Often there is a user option to clear EPG cache data in the RAM and maybe also to wipe the same data from disk.

On my box there is the option to select where the EPG is stored: flash memory, hard disk or USB stick. It is inadvisable to store to flash memory. With regards the amount of data it's not just the program name and time but also the short description on what the program is about.

Reply to
alan_m

That is what happens to me with TVheadend, which is a piece of software approximating to a set top box connected via a TV DVB dongle to the antenna.

It can only tune one multiplex at at time, and if you are listening or watching on one, it cant pull EPG from the others.

I would expect he Humax to have two tuners though, so you can always watch one channel and record another.

Could well be. There is some crap firmware out there.

No, that's TV headend only, the software application.

Dunno.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ours isn't, & hasn't ever been, connected to the internet.

The EPG worked fine in the past when we recorded lots of programmes whilst we were away on holiday.

Reply to
wasbit

How do I find that?

Reply to
wasbit

How do you tell it to shut down when the off button only puts the box into standby?

Reply to
wasbit