Freeview CatchUp in EPG

The ability to scroll back via a TV's to TV programs which have already been shown or even which are already mid way through. Is the program list served up via the antenna, or the connection to the Internet, or maybe a mixture of both?

The problem I am curious about is lots of LG TV owners, including myself, complaining that often the < (back in time) button is absent from the EPG. Is this presented from the antenna, or from an Internet server somewhere?

When missing, sometimes a channel rescan brings it back and its the only way to bring the < symbol back, often turning the set off then on looses the <, though not always, sometimes it proves impossible to get the < for hours and days.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It will probably be served by internet, via commands from the TV to the iPlayer (etc) site to so "go get me this programme and start playing from this point".

It is plausible that a TV could record all channels for a limited period of time (eg 24 hours) and play the programmes from there.

If the TV needs restarting, I wonder if it keeps losing its internet connection, or whether the software that communicates with the various catch-up sites (iPlayer etc) keeps crashing.

Reply to
NY

NY expressed precisely :

No, you misunderstood my question. All of the Playback services work fine, the only issue is this one..

On the program guide or EPG it lists the various channels. It shows channel ident, then to the right the current program, following by the programs coming up during the rest of the day. That always works fine.

On the same program guide page, to the immediate right of the channel ident is (or is supposed to be) a < symbol. Clicking on that symbol allows you to see what has already been on, that you might have missed earlier in the day/ earlier in the week. You can then click on them and watch it, served up from the Internet. All of that works absolutely great.

Except, the < is often missing. Switching off then back on it will be usually absent from the guide. A channel rescan usually bring it back, but not always. Once lost, it never reappears without that rescan.

Hence my question, does that < facility become enabled by what it downloads from the Internet, or via the TV's antenna?

LG UK and me are both trying to resolve why the service keeps being lost by so many owners.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry, There is a dedicated Digital TV group...

uk.tech.digital-tv

you will find some one in there that knows.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Does

help?

If you have a look at the updates to the link I posted above you'll find it's fixed now.