Alternatives to cable TV

I know this has nothing to do with home repair, but I am looking for a newsgroup or blog discussing alternatives to cable TV. There are several services such as Hulu that use the Internet and I would like to hear from someone who has cut the cord. Any comments or suggestions where I might hear from someone who has such a service would be appreciated.
On 1/7/2018 2:16 PM, Ken wrote:

  Tried satellite ? They'll give you great prices for a while ... we cut the cord about a year ago , get all our content over the internet . We subscribe to CBS to have access to a major network/local station , plus sling and netflix . Including our internet connection we get as good coverage at about 2/3 the cost of satellite - cable not available out here in The Holler .
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
On 1/7/2018 3:16 PM, Ken wrote:

I cut the cord about two years ago and went with an OTA antenna and internet. I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. There are other services such as Sling which will offer several channels. If you like shows on HBO or Showtime, they both offer their own service.
There are many options, you just need to do your homework.

I am weaning my self off of Satellite as we speak. I have a Tivo OTA and I get a bunch of stuff over the air (the 4 networks and a bunch of the sub channels). I buy Amazon, Netflix, HBO and Show. Since Amazon and Netflix are not on the Cable/Sat anyway the only extra ones are HBO/SHO. I was amazed at all of the stuff on You Tube. It is not just cat videos and guys taking a fast ball to the nuts these days. I may be looking at Sling or Hulu but not so far. The money I save by only buying 2 premiums is significant compared to the $160 satellite bill I had for 300 channels I never watched. (like a tenth the cost) I am also largely commercial free except for one occasionally on You Tube and they are right at the beginning and the networks I see. The Tivo lets me skip them.

I've never had cable TV. We use an antenna on the roof to pick up broadcasts.
On 1/7/2018 11:20 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

So what is your point? Where I live I'd need a rather high tower to get a weak signal.

The point is that the option of receiving free TV over the air is frequently overlooked. Many of today's stoopid young people apparently don't even know it exists.
Of course the signal strength in your area will determine how feasible an option this is. For us a rooftop antenna with a rotator does the job nicely.
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 1:36:04 PM UTC-5, Roger Blake wrote:

I love those commercials they are running on TV for a basic antenna. They say, due to an act of Congress, you can now receive broadcast TV for free. They show the Capitol Dome and flash up "law passed". In fact, OTA broadcast TV has always been free. But I guess you're right, there are people out there that see those ads and think, wow, this is something new.
On 01/08/2018 02:33 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

And the word "digital", which means nothing for an antenna.
BTW, I there was one antenna in stores they called "free TV key", in a package shaped like a little chain saw.
IIRC, they're about to limit TV broadcasting to channels 2-26. UHF-only antennas are about to be less desirable (some stations may move to VHF).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I doubt that many would move to VHF unless they already have that transmitter. I do expect they will squeeze down the UHF band tho. When they went up to ch 83 they thought broadcast TV was going to be the future and we would actually have that many channels in bigger markets. The ability to use sub channels took a lot of pressure off of the bandwidth. We have a few channels here that broadcast 6 programs at a time. They tend to be old NTSC shows, compressed into low def digital tho (Grit, Laff etc)
On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 12:37:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can't find it right now to be sure, but I think the cutoff will be channel 36 - not 26. And yes, some stations are being moved to VHF which is now considered less desirable. Why would they do that? Because they are being paid lots of money to do so. The auction process gave money that came in to buy spectrum go to stations willing to go off the air or move to a lower channel. The changes have already started and will continue over the next few years.
On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:17:27 PM UTC-5, Pat wrote:

NBC NYC is one that apparently took money to move. They are changing frequencies as part of the move to a new shared facility at the new WTC. It's a little weird, but I guess it works like you say. They had some kind of auction where holders of the licenses for the freq that other services wanted got paid a lot of money to move or go bye bye.

Grit and Laff are available here, on subchannels. Strangely, the cable does NOT carry them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Nope, the military has VHF locked up. That's why the FCC made digital TV mandatory, reallocation of the spectrum.
--
Tekkie

On 01/09/2018 02:32 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Here, we have a TV station that broadcasts on channel 7.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

From Wikipedia:
"The UHF band originally spanned from channels 14 to 83, though the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has twice rescinded the high-end portions of the band from television broadcasting use for emergency and other telecommunications purposes in 1983 (when channels 70 to 83 were removed) and 2009 (when channels 52 to 69 were removed by mandate at the completion of the transition from analog to digital television)."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_the_United_States>
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 14:42:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

I found that article also. Clearly it hasn't been updated to reflect last year's spectrum auction. I looked at 3 or 4 different sites and still couldn't find the latest information. I then searched for auction info and found a bunch of stuff written before the auction - nothing with the final result. Depending on how much was bid for the spectrum, differnt top channels would result. The first part of the auction didn't bring in enough to fund what the stations wanted for their channels. The second round worked. That is, the money bid by those wanting the spectrum exceeded what the stations wanted to move or go off the air. But I can't remember what the top channel ended up being.

Found it. My guess that it is channel 36 was correct. Here's a link to the article. http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/tv-stations-channels-faq/

Thanks for the link. It may be an indication of how much broadcast TV has declined in importance that this didn't get more coverage in the general press. Or perhaps it's just that it doesn't involve anything beyond a channel rescan for the typical TV viewer, and it will get more buzz when the channel transitions actually begin.
On 01/09/2018 06:55 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

I have a friend who has only antenna for TV. One of the local stations is going off the air. It carries COZI, which my friend watched a lot. Maybe it'll be available elsewhere.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/