How to wire in oven and hob - thanks

Many thanks to all those who took the time to reply and the interesting debates that ensued.

I have found the manual for the slot in cooker with ceramic hob that has just been removed. This unit was rated at 11.1 kW and has been running quite happily on a 32A MCB and 6mm T&E cable for the last 6 years or so.

So with the comments received by all you good folk and the above facts in mind.... I am going to go for 32A MCB with 6mm T&E from the CU to the DP Isolator then 4mm T&E from the DP via connection unit to the two appliances (oven and hob) both rated at 5.18kW and 5.4kW respectively (10.6kW total). The manual for both the oven and hob state that they can be wired with 4mm T&E....

that is unless someone tells me different before the weekend....deadline from the boss to get them working :-)

Many thanks once more

Duncan

Reply to
DeeBee

Yup, that's quite consistent with the domestic diversity rule-of-thumb for a cooker (11.1kW = 46A peak, Diversifies down to 10 + (46-10)*0.3 = 21A).

Super - as debated in gory detail, 4mmsq is well in spec, while 2.5 would be merely marginal. (If the IEE ever do bother to issue specific guidance on split hob-n-oven wiring, you can frame a copy and give it to your better half, and claim (spurious) credit for spurring them into action ;-)

Have a happy weekend - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba