How to get rid of packing peanuts?

Most stuff these days seems to be delivered in boxes packed using the "bag of air" as the padding of choice... however from time to time I still get things packed with low density polystyrene peanuts. These things are a PITA.

Anyone have any inventive ways for getting shot of these things, or finding a use for them?

Reply to
John Rumm

Find somebody who does Ebay and has lots of packing to do?

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Melt them in trichloroethane and make aeroplane glue!

I'll get me coat.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

for a while we were getting biodegradable ones made from starch - at least I think they were - they weren't very tasty though :-(

Reply to
brugnospamsia

ISTR at one time pop(ped) corn was actually used by one of the computer giants

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Use them to stuff a home made beanbag?

Reply to
Keith Oliver

I stick them in rubbish sacks and keep them for re-use. Of course, if you rarely post things not much point. But I'm often in a negative situation with them. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Na, too soft, if you squash one it stays squashed... just a bit tedious squashing lots of them for disposal!

Reply to
John Rumm

So what you are saying is I should stick your address and a stamp on a bin bag full of them? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote | Keith Oliver wrote: | > Use them to stuff a home made beanbag? | Na, too soft, if you squash one it stays squashed... just a | bit tedious squashing lots of them for disposal!

And also a fire hazard?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, I'll take them off your hands. I never have enough ... I'll pay for the stamp even.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote | Anyone have any inventive ways for getting shot of these things, or | finding a use for them?

Donate to local primary school for paint-and-glue sessions[1] or use as bran tub.

Mix into greenhouse compost to keep plant roots warm.

Owain

[1] In my day it was paint and glue, nowadays the P1s are probably all on glue and the P4s are all into horse and I don't mean My Little Pony.
Reply to
Owain

I usually have to buy big bags of filling, although what we buy is based on maize, rather than polystyrene. Any coming in simply gets tipped into a big box and reused.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

John Rumm wrote in news:41ffe980$0$7906$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Also, 'proper' beanbag fill does have some sort of fire retardant.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Heh heh - thanks. But at the moment I'm not dealing much on Ebay so stocks are adequate. In the future very likely. So Mary's needs are greater than mine.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , nightjar writes

Most businesses do that. There's a very large and complicated international trade in this stuff. Uninvoiced, of course, and incidental to the goods actually packed in it.

Reply to
Joe

Give them to the local toddler's group to make greeting cards from.

Reply to
Mike

;-) was just informed by SWMBO, that there is a notice on the wall in the village hall asking for donations of "interesting" things for "sticking to paper exercises" for the mini sprogs... Looks like I can send ours along with a bag of simmilar volume to the sprog!

Reply to
John Rumm

Flush 'em down the toilet.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Apart from not being convinced that is a "good idea", the thought occurs to me, that the blighters would be very resistant to flushing!

Reply to
John Rumm