How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.
I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with the
spray, as they were coming after me.
My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and that
is how we first learned of it...
Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so I know
it is in there somewhere.
Please help !!!
Thank you.
James
Reply to
James
Perzactly. They can't fly well at night so are less likely to get you and they'll all be home so you can get the whole colony.
Reply to
krw
On Sep 4, 1:56=A0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:
Use long pole or 2X4 to mark opening during day;) long pole saves you from getting stung!
Go out at nite with NO LIGHTS AT ALL, take bucket with gasoline:) approach area softly, NO LIGHTS!
dump gasoline quickly in hole and leave area! No need to light gasoline, its not necessary.
they will be dead, gasoline kills them.......
a buddy did this and dug up nest area a few days later, 3 foot diameter nest in ground.
you need not do this just toss some dirt in hole, and avoid area for a few days as straglers who were away from nest at night will be hanging around
one year i sat on a ground nest to work on a dryer vent:( a couple weeks later I chipped a bunch of wood and accidently chipped poision ivy:(
That was a bad summer:(.
Reply to
hallerb
the following:
I agree with this gasoline method, except I would use a pump sprayer or old spray bottle filled with a pint of gas to get the most gas into the entrance hole.
Reply to
willshak
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:50:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:
I have an extendable sprayer pole (can goes at the end of the pole with a string down to the trigger) used for spa raying carpenter bees in my sofits. Carpenter bees don't sting but it gets the can up to them.
Yep, or if there are any lights make sure they're the opposite direction from your escape route!
EPA isn't going to like you very much.
I'm not allergic to poison ivy, but my wife sure is. Once she had a bad summer from just washing my son's clothes.
Reply to
krw
I had the same problem with them nesting in my attic. One night, I was stung in my bed and that was my clue that something was wrong (that, and finding dead bees in all the light fixtures!).
I was able to find the outside exit hole (the bees have their own air traffic control system and circle the entry hole until they receive "clearance" (or whatever makes them know it's time to land). I am sure if you watch carefully enough, you'll be able to see where your bees are nesting.
I watched for a while to be sure that was the only hole and waited till it was just turning dark. I suited up in long sleeves, multi-layered clothing, wore a hoody and a fencing mask and sprayed a total of 5 cans of the long distance wasp and hornet killer into the access hole. That put an end to them. Since they were all tucked in for the night, very few came towards me at all. I was surprised - I could have done the job without the protective gear.
For a few days after, there were some dazed and confused bees flying around, and I found a few more in the basement, crawling on the flood, not at all well, but their hive had been polished off. I figured $20 worth of Raid was a worthwhile investment, especially since a pest control company I had called was talking in the $300-500 range with no guarantee of success. Spraying *near* the hole isn't going to cut it. You've got to get as much of the spray *into* the hive entrance as possible. I had a friend who didn't know he had an attic full of bees until honey started dripping down the walls. Yuck! That cost nearly $1000 to be professionally cleaned up.
FWIW, I got the same sized quote when the squirrel plague hit, but $90 worth of Havahart traps and a jar of Skippy peanut butter (the squirrels hate Giant chunky, I found out!) solved the problem. The Havaharts are great because they have two trap doors, and when set, the squirrels enter without much hesitation because they can see through to the outside. Only a few have been smart enough to beat it, and one was a huge male with a tail so big that it held up the back trap door, keeping in from latching properly, allowing him to back out. Also caught 2 possums, 1 raccoon and one crow during the "Squirrel Wars." One day, I would have caught the neighbor's wandering Golden Retriever if that trap had been big enough.
Despite what people say about how smart they are, I reset the trap, keeping one side closed and putting the bait deep in the trap so he would have to go all the way in. I caught him 5 minutes later. The irony was that he was standing around, waiting for me to go back inside so he could take another chance at the bait. They sure do love that Skippy!
-- Bobby G.
Reply to
Robert Green
Ortho Seven is a powder, if you can get it at the hole it will kill the bees. Pros you call out to exterminate use it. You can mix it with water and pour it in if you cant get the powder in, I tape a cup on a pole and pour it in the hole. Gasolene will kill the pampas grass.
Reply to
ransley
One good shot of wasp/hornet spray in the nest opening should do it. I've heard it is best to spray at night but I've done it many times in the day as sprayed yellow jackets are disoriented and don't get you.
Reply to
Frank
On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:18:47 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:
I didn't think powdered Seven was available anymore.
Reply to
krw
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:38:29 -0400, Frank wrote:
They're not all home during the day, so even if you don't get stung you didn't do half the job.
Reply to
krw
On Sep 4, 5:07=A0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:
Its at HD, I havnt heard of it being banned.
Reply to
ransley
Good point. I've seen some coming back the next day even but eventually they all disappear.
Reply to
Frank
Wow, you must have them really pissed off. I usually leave them alone and they leave me alone. I have a nest under the eave of my porch. I don't mind them.
Reply to
LSMFT
In the south they nest underground, so there must be a hole. I've found it takes only a tablespoon of gasoline. Sometimes waiting until sunset has helped me locate holes, but papas grass could make it tough.
You could wait until dark and toss a piece of liver where you think the hole is. Liver attracts skunks. A skunk who finds the hole will destroy the nest.
Another trick is an electric bug zapper on a long pole. Stick it where you think the hole is and shake it until the yellow jackets attack it.
Reply to
J Burns
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:54:19 -0400, Frank wrote:
No, they just move their nest. ...likely somewhere else you don't want it.
Reply to
krw

Site Timeline Threads