New back boiler ???

My mates got an ancient Baxi back bolier (for gravity HW and pumped CH) and attached 70's style gas fire located in a "chimney breast" bang in the middle of the party wall of his 3 bed mid terraced house. Never had any problems, but his SWMBO would like a change to gas fire to probably something with flame effect coals.

In my last house in 1999 I had a similar back boiler changed and flame effect fire put in no problems still gravity HW and pumped CH.

What options does my mate have, especially after April 2005 (?) when condensing boilers must be fitted ? He likes the idea of back boiler (out of the way) and attached gas fire, will these still be available ?

Reply to
Ian Middleton

There is some sort of exemption that he might be able to get after April

2005, provided the boiler manufacturers decide to support the few who use it. They might just discontinue the ranges.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It sounds like it's a Baxi Bermuda.

Depending on its age, he may be able to change the fire to a more acceptable style without changing the boiler part. You can do this with later Bermudas - but not older ones.

Otherwise, he'd have to replace the whole lot. Surprisingly, Baxi's website seems to indicate that you can still get new Bermudas.

Set Square

Apparently, the model changed in about 1980. Anything before is bad. Anything after is (I hesitate to say good) able to have the fire changed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Does he like the idea that if there's a problem with either the ventilation or flueing he and his SWMBO could end up as worm fodder? :-) Admittedly the later BBs have oxygen depletion sensors so this shouldn't happen, but even so the ventilation requirement for a back boiler means you need about 2 house-bricks' worth of hole in the wall to let enough air in, and if it's not arranged carefully that can give quite a draught.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Have a look at this.

's the points scoring system to allow for installation of non condensing boilers from April.

Of course it does also assume that back boilers etc. will continue to be available.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes well, even though they know it's a lost cause Baxi are fighting fo the continuation of the band D back boiler mainly because it is 50% o their market share. They'll probably win.

In the mean time they are still making the range with quite attractiv fire fronts, and so do Gloworm. I only have knowledge of Baxi though

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

What I don't understand is why Baxi don't develop a condensing back boiler, coupled with some sort of special bendy flue that could be easily shoved up a chimney. They'd clean up in that market, especially as they have now sorted out the 70s appearance. Some of their gas fire fronts are actually acceptable in appearance.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Mine was a 1970's Baxi and pre-dated the "you can change the front" so the whole lot was replaced. The fitters did look into replacing the boiler with a wall mounted condensing boiler, but even if you don't mind loosing some of your room due to the ducting required there was no suitable place to vent it. At the front of the house there were opening windows and neighbours front door and rear of house (even further away) the back door.

My mates talked to some fitters and they didn't mention any problems with just changing like for like after April 2005 and have quoted for it using a Baxi back boiler.

We had had tremendous problems initially with our back boiler (don't think it was a Baxi), had the fitters back numerous times including the manufacturers back looking at it. Basically it would just lock out with the red oxygen depletion light lit, press reset and all ok until next time. Usual way of finding out was either no hot water in the morning or no central heating. Caught it doing at other times as well, you could hear the boiler working and suddenlty "clunk" off it went. Manufacturers claimed incorrect fitting, fitters came back sealed gaps around surround etc etc. Even had the manufacturer who was visiting at the time stating that room ventilation was insufficient and there was oxygen depletion !!! Then it did, locked out, it right in front of him with the back door wide open so that stuffed his theory. Anyway over a couple of weeks they changed the electronics, changed wiring, changed most of it, fitted baffles, flame deflectors, metal sheets etc etc, ran fine with oxygen depletion "bypassed" not that one would do that of course.

Anyway one of the final guys that came to fit some bits finally identified the problem (cured by adding baffle plates and draft deflectors) basically the pilot light was being blown by draughts, thus triggering the oxygen depletion sensor, but all the standard baffle work assumed draughts come via the front. The draughts were coming into the the backboiler space from behind the plaster board, thus sometimes deflecting the pilot flame. Did mange to stuff rockwool in some of the gaps, but very difficult as there was a back boiler in the way!!!. Anyway final fiddling cured it and no more problems at all.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Yep, I had my 70's glow worm replaced by a Baxi BB in 2001, with decent fire front. I'd be dissapointed if I can't find a replacement boiler to drop in it's place in X years when it's beyond economical repair.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Well I'd be wanting to change it, Baxi will never make them condensin because of the impracticality of draining the condensate. I assure yo they have no intention to make it condense, they have a deliberat policy to prevent that.

No, sooner you realise that it's a stupid style of boiler the better Get a room sealed condensing boiler when it goes wrong, and sto sharing your oxygen supply with your fire and boiler

-- Paul Barker

Reply to
Paul Barker

Nicely put. The price will also tip the balance the back boiler replacement may well cost almost as much as the wall mounted unit and fitting.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The problem my mates got with his replacement back boiler is he can't change it to a wall mounted condensing boiler as the back boiler is in the middle of the terraced house - there is no way to vent the fumes (existing flue goes staight upto roof). - Can't vent sideway as front of house is just windows and at rear of house end up next to back door. - there is no where to drain any condensate - All the water, hot water and CH pipes are in the back boiler space.

Anyway a gas fitter/plumber came round, spent a while looking, filled a form to work out if possible to fit an alternative, eyed up kitchen cupbards to put boiler there, measured required pipework/bent lengths and a lot of other stuff and said "it's a back boiler for you mate". Something to do with scoring and locations. Anyway I think my mate said £2.2K total for replacement boiler + some other work (replacing leaking radiators) + replacing some damaged valves in airing cupboard. Work starts soon.

Reply to
Ian Middleton